Why are women expected to have 200 different outfits, but not men, LOL

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
5207 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

@Devyn-Diana:  It’s because women like to impress other women with their clothes. Men don’t really notice if you wear the same thing all the time. As long as it flatters your body they like it.

Post # 4
2851 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Aquaria is right. Women dress for women, and women are b’s, b’s talk about what other women are wearing.

Post # 5
6407 posts
Bee Keeper

This is very true, and it’s expected that all women like to dress up in many different ways, when that’s not true for many women. Myself, I have phases. Sometimes I feel more like experimenting with interesting clothing options, and at other times, I don’t have time for that crap.

What I find works is to have some “classic” staples that you really feel comfortable in, and are not trendy, but more of the things that are always being worn no matter what the current fad is. This is often enough by itself, but if you really feel like fitting in with the more fashion-focused ladies, the easiest way to do it is with inexpensive accessories that match the current trend that you at least sort of like. It does feel wasteful to buy such things, and personally I usually don’t (I prefer to wear my own taste of accessories, and don’t care if it’s in fashion or not) but sometimes it’s important to at least make some effort to show women around you (e.g., at work) that you have some things in common with them… it helps break the ice with certain types of women. Of course, many times those women are just not worth breaking the ice with, but if your career will be impacted if you don’t, it’s a way to deal with it without going over the top about it.

Post # 6
687 posts
Busy bee

Well women CAN dress simply. You can wear a plain black dress to every dinner party. I know some women who don’t find dressing up very fun, so that’s what they do. 

I think women have a lot more styles to choose from because it’s harder to dress a woman’s body, and there are more variations in women’s bodies than men’s. Not to say that men never have fit issues, but I think it’s generally easier for them so there is less of a market for that. 

Post # 7
2878 posts
Sugar bee

I never felt the pressure of having to wear different outfits. However, I like the endless possibilities, the way we can play with our style and accessorize our clothes differently. Creativity is fun. That’s really how I see it. And I will wear my favorite clothes many times without worrying about it. 😉

Post # 9
491 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Oh man I agree. So unfair that FI can get away with a couple 3 piece suits, mix them up in different ways or just change the color of his shirt/tie and whammo! Brand new outfit. Not so for us ladies…

Post # 10
2079 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@Devyn-Diana:  I don’t think we are necessarily expected to have 200 different outfits, lol. I think we think we are expected to have a large variety of clothing. I can’t afford to have a bunch of stuff sitting in my closet I am not wearing and as I get older I have more difficulty finding something both comfortable and stylish. I also don’t find that I am attending as many functions where it might be necessary to impress others or fit in.

I see what you are saying though. Men do tend to be simplier creatures than we are. They really don’t put as much thought into it but they aren’t given as many choices either. They have pants, jeans, and shorts. We have skirts, dresses, pants, capris, shorts, bermuda shorts, jeans, etc., lol.

Give yourself and your wallet a break, it’s okay to wear the same thing more than a few times.:-)

Post # 11
1180 posts
Bumble bee

Because women are socialized to believe that their value is in their looks. 

Post # 12
1499 posts
Bumble bee

I think, because we care to! We make a big deal about getting a new dress for a Christmas party, friends wedding etc. Guystypically don’t care as much, so they don’t bother.

(obviously I am speaking generally)

Post # 13
8425 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

My husband has more outfits than I do, but I hate shopping.  I think as long as you look presentable, most people don’t care/notice.  Most of my outfits I’ve been wearing since high school (literally, as in the clothes I have are 15+ years old lol), but no one seems to care.

Post # 14
783 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Emmm…personally I LIKE clothing and accessories. If I had a lot of money, I’d probably shop all the time. But I don’t (yet). So I don’t (yet). Fashion is fun!

Post # 15
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

@Devyn-Diana:  

I think women are the ones who expect it of themselves, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

Honestly though, I don’t think you need to have tons and tons of clothes in order to not get bored with your wardrobe and look like you’re not wearing the same thing all the time.

Just choose a few classics in a color palette where everything mixes and matches. Choose mostly solid neutrals for your big ticket items like slacks, skirts, jackets and sweaters. Then you can add zings of color with cheap, trendy blouses or accessories.

Post # 16
1952 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I don’t really stress about wearing different outfits for different events…ask my husband and he’ll tell you otherwise, LOL. As it is, the dress I’m wearing to tonight’s work Christmas party is the same dress I wore at my friend’s 21st and my wedding after party. Down to the same heels and jewellery. Most of the time I like to buy new outfits but I just can’t justify that when we’re trying to save for Christmas…

I have this same outfit I wear at least once a week, cos I love it. If it’s for an everyday occasion, I’ll happily recycle outfits.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors