(Closed) Why do some bridal salons & shops not allow photos?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
672 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

The salons I went to that told me photos are not allowed said it was the designers who don’t want pictures of their dresses taken which I think is a big lie because I would go in another store with the same dresses and could take all the photos I wanted! 

Post # 4
879 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

The first bridal salon i went to did NOT allow photos, even once you purchased the gown.  They had signs up in their dressing rooms saying that “they did not allow photos for copyright reasons so please do not ask as refusal often offends”

I did not buy my dress there on principle.  That and the woman was so rude, gave me no assistance getting into dresses and pulled styles the total opposite of what I was looking for.

Where I did buy from were lovely and allowed photos no problem.  They did not hide style names or remove designer tags are any of that underhanded stuff I have heard others talk about.  They acutally had big picture tags hanging on each dress that had the designer name, style name, designer photo, size and price.  They seemed to have no fear about a bride liking a style and running off somewhere else.  But with service as friendly as they were, theres no wonder.

So I really think it depends on where you go.

Post # 5
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I was told it was because they didn’t want you liking a dress and then going to find it online for a cheaper price (as though you couldn’t find it online without taking a picture of it in their store). This seemed like a really silly response to me. And I think the stores that participate in this no picture policy are only hurting themselves. I couldn’t remember what the dresses looked like on me from the store that I went to that didn’t allow pictures, and therefore I didnt have any desire to return. At the store that I purchased my dress, I was looking at the pictures I took even as I was wearing the dress, because it helps tremendously to see it in a photo. 

Post # 6
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Designers don’t care.  The salons blame the designers, but it makes no sense.

The shop is afraid that people will take pictures and then have the dress replicated by a seamstress. It’s pretty foolish…almost every dress out there is photographed from multiple angles and posted online.

Post # 7
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

They do not want you to go look some place else for the same or a simmilar dress that will cost you less, they want you to buy it from them and not take photos to other places saying this is what you want!

Post # 8
790 posts
Busy bee

Horrible policy. I found my dress during a weekend of dress shopping in another city where I visited about five salons. The first store I went to had a no pictures policy and there was a dress there I liked. But after going to several more stores (all of which did allow pics), I could no longer remember the first dress well enough to consider it a contender, and I didn’t have time to visit the shop again, so I simply crossed the dress off my list. As much as the salons will tell you not to rely on poor quality phone pics to make a decision, sometimes the mirror is misleading. There were dresses that I realized were NOT flattering on me by looking at pics. There was no way I was going to buy a dress without the “second opinion” that a pic provides. I can’t believe this policy doesn’t drive off more sales than it generates. 

Post # 9
460 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I think the whole copyright/ dress replication excuse is BS. The real reason is they just want you to make a snap decision in their store. They don’t want you going home and figuring out which dress photographed best because once you leave their store, there’s no guarantee you’ll be back. Only 2 stores out of the 8 or so I went to in the DC metro area allowed me to take photos, and that was only because my mom wasn’t with me. Thank goodness they did because I didn’t like how any of the dresses photographed. They were beautiful in person but in photos, they were a disappointment. I didn’t get any photos of the dress I bought before I purchased it, but I did after the sale. I was thrilled with how it photographed, but I of course would have preferred to have photographed it before the purchase. It totally could have gone the other way.

Post # 10
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I really think they’re afraid that you’ll just find the dress online or somewhere else. They’re trying to make sure you buy it from them. Although I’m pretty sure it has the complete opposite effect! When I was looking for my dress, I specifically decided to not go to the stores that wouldn’t allow photos. The place I bought my dress encouraged taking photos, and even helped pose me to make the photos come out better, haha. 

Post # 11
7609 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@Bride2BeeVA28:  The real reason is they just want you to make a snap decision in their store. They don’t want you going home and figuring out which dress photographed best because once you leave their store, there’s no guarantee you’ll be back.

Yes, exactly!  No other excuses make any sense.  I would never buy from a store that I couldn’t at least sneak a picture from.

Post # 12
176 posts
Blushing bee

I’m not sure if the store where I got my dress has a no photos policy, but after I decided to buy my dress I took it off and had my measurements taken. Then I realised I hadn’t taken any photos! I wanted photos to help me plan all the other details and accessories because my actual dress won’t be in until 8 weeks before my wedding. But the lady was so lovely, she helped me back into the dress again just so I could take photos! I had my sister very sneakily taking photos on her phone in other stores that don’t allow photos. I think it gives you a better idea of the overall silhouette and how flattering it is on you if you can see a photo.

Post # 13
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Because they’re stupid…

I got the “designers don’t allow the dresses to be photographed” excuse too, and so I actually called up Casablanca headquarters and asked them, and they said that it was the individual store’s policy, not theirs, that they didn’t care – they have pictures of all their dresses on their website already anyway.

I actually tried on my dress first at a store that didn’t allow photos.  I went to a few stores after that, though, and was able to try it on again.  I purposefully didn’t buy from the first store because they wouldn’t allow pictures. 

There was no way I was going to buy a dress without seeing pictures of me in it first.  And there was also no way I was going to buy the same day without sleeping on it first, pictures or not.  Watching shows like Say Yes to the Dress, I can’t believe that so many people make the decision on the spot to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a dress.

Post # 14
Hostess
16217 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@mink:  You said it perfectly!

The topic ‘Why do some bridal salons & shops not allow photos?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors