(Closed) Wine & Champagne suggestions

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

What about sparkling wine instead of champagne, I know that’s more popular and I personally think it tastes better.

Post # 4
1962 posts
Buzzing bee

You can get great sauvignon blancs at good price points.  I don’t care what caterers say, IMHO, I think inexpensive chardonnays taste like CRAP!  The grape is so abundant and that’s why its cheap.  Unlike a lot of other varietals, I think price means something with chardonnay that it doesn’t with other whites.  Indaba wines are super cheap and decent!  What type of champagne do you want?  Dry, demi sec, sweet?

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I like gewurtzdraminers and reinheissens. We served a reinheissen and we found that it, in general, appeals to a wider variety of people than reislings and pinot grigios, which are a slightly drier, fuller bodied white. We got ours at Trader Joe’s. It’s Dr. Beckermans. Don’t let the $4.99 price tag fool you; it’s amazing. As far as champagne, i prefer sparkling wines like mostaco d’asti so i can’t help you there. We served the “bride’s white” and the “groom’s red” for wines and kegged bud light and 2 cocktails. Everybody found something they wanted, so don’t feel bad about putting your favorite on there! So what if not everyone likes the St Michelle?! You got plenty of options!

Hit up Sams or Costco if they let you bring in your own like ours did. It was waaay cheap. We spent maybe $700 for liquor for 120 people!

Post # 6
1962 posts
Buzzing bee

And sparkling wines don’t necessarily taste any different then champagnes.  Champagnes are only a regional designation.  Cava and prosecco are sparkling wines that can taste the same or different as champagne.  You need to concentrate on the sugar and quality level of sparkling wines and champagnes to get what you want.

Post # 7
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

Where in Texas do you live? Have you considered visitng one of the wineries here? We went to a very small one so the prices were a bit high, but if you go to one of the bigger ones maybe you can get a good deal buying in bulk.

I am also partial to reisling, but it can be a bit sweet for some people. It seems like a safe bet is usually pinot grigio or chardonnay. Although, I for one don’t like chardonnay, but a lot of people do.

Also, check out Sam’s Club and Costco if you or someone you know has a membership. I was browsing the other day and I found good prices at Costco. I bought a bottle of Cristallino (sp?) and was so hoping to like it because it was only like $6. LOL Unfortunately, my friend (a bm doing a tasting with me) and I prefered the $10 Domain Ste. Michelle much better.

costco

Post # 7
774 posts
Busy bee

Where in Texas do you live? Have you considered visitng one of the wineries here? We went to a very small one so the prices were a bit high, but if you go to one of the bigger ones maybe you can get a good deal buying in bulk.

I am also partial to reisling, but it can be a bit sweet for some people. It seems like a safe bet is usually pinot grigio or chardonnay. Although, I for one don’t like chardonnay, but a lot of people do.

Also, check out Sam’s Club and Costco if you or someone you know has a membership. I was browsing the other day and I found good prices at Costco. I bought a bottle of Cristallino (sp?) and was so hoping to like it because it was only like $6. LOL Unfortunately, my friend (a bm doing a tasting with me) and I prefered the $10 Domain Ste. Michelle much better.

Costco has our shiraz for about $2 cheaper than anyone else too.

Post # 10
1205 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I think Pinot Grigio is a good choice for everyone as a white. As a buget wine, I like Rex Goliath. We got the larger bottles of that brand of Pinot Grigio and it was well-liked.

You could also get a few bottles of riesling too if you want a sweeter red. I’m sure at least a few people would enjoy it (I would!).

Post # 12
774 posts
Busy bee

Ooo…if you buy from Spec’s, I think it is if you buy it by case they have to sell it to you at their cost. Or maybe it is if you special order. I am not sure about the logistics but we discussed getting our liquor there as well because it would be at their cost. I know we special ordered about 3 bottles of the wine from Olive Garden which is their own special label and we got it for like $5.99. About the same price as a glass at Olive Garden!

Post # 13
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

champagne: the mr and i are partial to lanson black label. it’s not too pricey as champagnes go. New York Times (or maybe it was Wall Street Journal) did an article a couple of years ago comparing different affordable champagnes. you might find that helpful.

but prosecco, cava and other sparkling wines are good alternatives and often much cheaper.

Post # 14
2470 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

when it comes to champagne… we usually go with korbel. Its not awfully expensive. I actually don’t prefer sparkling wine at all. I went to a wedding and they had sparkling wine and I never saw so many scrunched up noses at one time. It may have just been the type they got but it didn’t go over to well.

Post # 15
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

how about sauvignon blanc for whites? there are many affordable ones. or an albarino?

The topic ‘Wine & Champagne suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors