(Closed) Wish-List of What Brides & Grooms want from a Venue

posted 6 years ago in Venue
Post # 3
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

ability to bring in outside catering and alcohol was a huge one for us.

ability to have wine on tables

longer time blocks, (we rented our space for 7 hours of event time)

nice chiavari chairs that won’t need horrible chair covers

at least two choices of table cloths, napkins and cushions: one dark and one light (our venue had black or ivory which was perfect)

Post # 4
925 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

• NEUTRAL COLORS!!!! My hall had a theme of burgandy and hunter green. Seriously, whose wedding looks good with those colors??
  • An optional outdoor area or at least a pretty courtyard for smokers or people to just enjoy the outdoors
  • Decent-looking chairs that don’t need chair covers. They don’t neccessarily need to be chiviari but just not butt-ugly ones
  • A big dance floor
  • An open space so nobody is around a corner or in a separate room
  • A projector and screen
  • A place for buffet tables (if used) that is out of the way so that you can utilize that space for dancing or more tables
  • Keep your lobby/sitting room furniture semi-updated or at least don’t purchase things that are going to go out of style or look bad in 10+ years
  • Options for head tables: we wanted to do several round tables but there wasn’t enough space so we had to do a long table with people sitting on either side.
  • Offer different colored linens/napkins
  • Don’t use boxed wine as the wine you serve. Seriously?!
  • (as PP said) longer time blocks
  • supply height chairs/booster seats
  • Provide decent lighting so that people don’t have to rent outide lights unless that’s what they want to do
  • Overall, just keep everything pretty neutral and well-maintained (inside and outside) so that the bride/bridal party doesn’t have to do too much to make the space look nice

Post # 5
964 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@azwedvendor:<—-what she said

@yellowlace: <—-and what she said

The major things that has turned me away from venues were no outside catering, not being able to bring in alcoho,l and also the time limit.

Post # 6
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

YESSSSS on the neutral colors! (That goes for the chairs too!)

Here are the “extras” that were included in our package, which is really what sold us on the venue:

-Shuttle to and from nearby hotel, with guest discount at hotel

-5 free rooms for bride/groom and family

-Cake included in the price, with no cutting/serving fee

-Top shelf open bar

-Table-side menu service (our guests don’t have to pick their meal months before!)

-TONS of food! Our cocktail hour is seriously exciting. Make sure to have lots of food options (especially vegan friendly options!)

-Photo opps both in AND outside the venue. Nothing worse than being stuck in the rain and realizing that there are no good photo spots in the venue

-Dance floor that doesn’t look like it was an afterthought. The look and placement of the dancefloor is important 🙂

Also, this may sound stupid, but keep the venue smelling good! I was immediately put off to venues if I walked in and they smelled old or like smoke. People associate smells with memories, so air freshener will go a long way!

Good luck on your packages!! It sounds very exciting

Post # 7
2889 posts
Sugar bee

It sounds to me like you are thinking about adding/subtracting services, not remodeling the venue. However, I ditto all that has been said above about neutral colors and simple decor.

I think this is hard as some people want all inclusive and others like to piece together their own wedding so my first thought would be to offer a bare bones package as well as an all inclusive package and maybe one in the middle. With the bare bones you could offer just the location. For middle ground, chairs, tables, table cloths/napkins in a choice of white or ivory would be sufficient IMO, a coordinator to assist in organization of additional vendors/needs as necessary (i.e. tent rental agreement as well as being present to supervise tent set up on site). All inclusive can be a complete wedding package set up with your prefered vendor to include catering, tables, chairs, linens, serveware, bar service, cake, DJ, etc. Basically, you would set up contacts with a team and sell the complete package, maybe even including hotel and transportation. I’m not sure this would be the most popular but there is certainly a demand for one stop shopping and itS’ hard to find so this would give you an advantage over competitors if you can do it well. It also puts more pressure on you up front to form relationships and select vendors which will keep your couples happy BUT if you do this well, I think you can negotiate good prices for your weddings as well as work in a commission from the vendors.

Three levels of service also make your venue acessiable to 3 levels of budgets.

Post # 8
1415 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

– A place where the bride/groom and party can make a grand entrance, like a staircase

– Large windows/easy access to outside

As for services: 

– cake cutting provided by someone on staff (even for outside cakes)

– access to the building/reception area before the actual event starts to set up 

– providing free, simple centerpieces for tables

Post # 9
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I wish my venue had:

Neutral decor!

NICE CHAIRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, why is it so hard for venues to get halfway decent chairs?!

Different table options

Dance floor

Table numbers holders

Ability to bring in outside food or serve own alcohol (however, I know this not very common)

I’m glad it had:

A projector & screen for viewing a slideshow

No cake cutting fee (since they didn’t even have an option to get a cake from them)

Glass hurricanes and votive handles available if we wanted them

Room for the girls to get ready in (the hotel was sold out)

The topic ‘Wish-List of What Brides & Grooms want from a Venue’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors