(Closed) Working out while feeling sick & under weight, is that ok?

posted 8 years ago in Fitness
Post # 4
4466 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would talk to your doctor about this.  He/she could advise you correctly.

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

If you don’t feel like eating, don’t work out. Especially if you want to tone up. It’ll be counterproductive. Also if your stomach is sensitive, any physical activity will make youf eel crappy. Push ups cause you to use your core, which will aggravate your stomach. I’d just do leisurely walks for now.

Even if you start in a month, you could hire a trainer and be in bangin’ shape by mid-May. You could do a lot of toning in 8 weeks, but HEAL first.

Post # 6
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

I would ask your doctor.  I do know that if you don’t increase what you eat, but workout then you will lose weight because you’re burning calories but not consuming anymore.  If you can’t make yourself eat, then you may get toned, but you may also drop a few more pounds.

Post # 7
2398 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Did you ask your doctor?

I’d be really careful doing anything stregth-training related, since you need to have some protein in your system for that process to work properly, I think.

Post # 8
18645 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

If you aren’t eating enough, you shouldn’t be working out.  It sounds like you body can’t get enough nutrients right now to maintain your weight and you are going to be burning more nutrients by working out.  I would just try taking it easy and maybe walking if you feel up to it.

Post # 9
2392 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

It takes food to build muscle, so you’re mostly just risking injury if you can’t take in the food right now.  Maybe if you can find some things that it bothers you less to eat, you can start again.  When you can start eating more, I’d suggest going with upper body training.  Get a couple of dumbells and start doing curls, presses, etc.  I don’t know how push-ups and crunches would work as both of those do stress your core more.  But you can start slow and try as you feel better. 

Post # 10
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I wouldn’t suggest you work out at all until a doctor tells you that you’re healthy enough for it.

Workouts are fine even for small women. I weigh around the same as you (height 5’2”) and do a lot of running just because I love it. But because I’m not trying to lose any weight, I supplement my diet with a little more food than I would if I were trying to lose.

Since I’m little like you, I also know what it is like to be “skinny fat” from time to time. Basically meaning you’re thin, but you have little to no muscle tone and you have a little bit of jiggle.

Just doing “toning” exercises will not help you firm up. People misuse that word A LOT. Doesn’t matter how much you “tone”, your muscles are never going to look ripped and firm unless you do cardio to eliminate the layer of fat sitting on top of them. You can do all the crunches you want, but unless you are also burning fat, you aren’t going to accomplish anything.

For people who are small like us who want to get firmed up for their wedding or whatever reason, I would definitely suggest cardio workouts at least three times a week and strength training workouts at least two. womenshealth.com has a few really good ones.

The most important thing is really going to be diet. If you clean up your diet and eat healthy you are going to get maximum results. Muscle toning workouts mean you need to make sure you’re getting enought protein.

If you aren’t going to eat, please PLEASE don’t workout because you are only headed towards hurting yourself that way.

The topic ‘Working out while feeling sick & under weight, is that ok?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors