Post # 1
So I was at my OB appt a few weeks ago and he asked me if I was thinking of doing a C-Section this time due to the fact that I had a very bad 4th degree tear with my 1st child. I also had a 2nd degree tear with my 2nd child. I hadn’t really thought seriously about a C-Section until he brought up the complications that could still arise from the tear I had previously and that my chances of tearing again are now greater. My 1st child was 9lbs. Hubby was 10lbs when he was born. I am not afraid of delivering vaginally again, but I am terrified of tearing again. I would like to avoid incontinency issues later in life and all the other complications that can occur from having a tear like I did.
My OB said he would do ultrasounds to make sure baby is not getting too big, but I know those aren’t the most accurate either. My biggest reason I prefer not to have a C-Section is because I really don’t want to pick my baby’s birthday and if I choose a C-Section than it will need to be scheduled at 39 weeks. If I could just let myself go into labor naturally and then have the C-Section that would be ideal but I don’t think that is an option.
My other fear is that if this baby is larger than 9lbs, I fear he may get stuck or have other issues coming out vaginally.
So my question is, would you try a vaginal deliver and risk having a tear again and causing problems or just schedule the C-Section.
Post # 3
I personally (and i haven’t ever given birth! so this may not mean much) would go for the c-section. I have a friend who had a terrible first birth and tore a lot and has had ongoing problems with it. She was offered a c-section for her second child and she has NO regrets whatsoever about it – said it was definitely the best decision and enabled her to look after her second baby better than she was able to with her first because of all the pain she was in the first time. It sounds like big babies run in the family, and if I were you I would be much more worried about my vagina then when my baby’s birthday is (hope that doesn’t make me a bad mum-to-be!!!)
Post # 4
I have suffered from anal fissures all of my adult life. I can go a year with at least one, but sometimes up to three, never healing.
I also suffer from something similar in my vaginal opening.
I will DEFINITELY be having a C section.
Post # 5
@londongal: Nope, definitely doesn’t make you a bad mom to be :):)
I am just afraid that people will think I took the easy way out if I have a scheduled C-Section. Even though I didn’t really have a lot of pain or anything from my 4th degree tear and was up walking around the next morning, I am still afraid of the problems that could develope later in life. I don’t want to have to worry about having an “accident” if I cough or sneeze or laugh.
I see the OB again tomorrow and we are going to discuss it more in detail. Hubby couldn’t be there for the last visit and doesn’t understand the risks involved in the vaginal delivery. My first 2 are from a previous marriage and Hubby thinks it ruined his chances for our kid. He didn’t realized that even if this were my first we could still have complications. My OB is going to “school” hubby on a few things 🙂
Post # 6
Former L&D nurse here… A lot of tears are caused by the position of the baby and how quick they come out. Size is often off in those ultrasounds, even by a pound or more.
I think I would try to avoid the tearing and avoid the surgery. The surgery can cause it’s own set of issues too, so I would weigh them carefully. That being said, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, but there are definitely ways to avoid tearing. I helped deliver many babies over 10lbs without any major tearing happening.
Here are some links to avoid tearing:
Post # 7
@MapleBecky: Yea, that is why I am not sure about the ultrasounds later in this pregnancy. I had one at 36 weeks with my 1st child and they said she was weighing about 5lbs and to expect a nice 7lb baby. They were definitely off!
I would really prefer to deliver vaginally, I really would. I think it is the fear of tearing again that has me leaning C-Section. With my 1st child, I had a family doctor deliver her. With my 2nd one, I had an awesome OB who is retired now. My OB I have now, I absolutely love. Probably a bit biased because I also worked for him. He isn’t pushing me for a C-Section but has planted the seed that I need to think about one.
I definitely plan on having an epidural. That’s not up for discussion 🙂
Post # 8
Personally, I would try to delivery vaginally. A c-section is a major surgery and I would never choose major surgery unless my life or the baby’s life was in jeopardy.
Post # 9
@Mrs.KMM: I would really like to try to deliver vaginally and then if need be, have a C-Section. I am anxious to talk to the OB tomorrow about that plan.
My fear about tearing badly again is because of all the complications that can come from it. When working at the OB office, we had a mom deliver a 10lb baby vaginally, had a 4th degree and require immediate reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. She continued to have problems with a bladder prolapse, fecal incontinence and urinary incontinence.
If they will let me labor down for as long as I need to, and push when I am ready to help avoid any tearing, lets do the vaginal deliver.
Post # 10
I would try to deliver naturally and know that c section is there for a back up. I just feel like You did it once, you did it twice, and had less of tearing, and although tearing is bad, I know it sucks trust me, but at least your not having major surgery. You already have two kids to run around after, not to mention a new born. That will be so stressful on your body if you had the surgery. I would just think about it. People are always there to help, but nobody does it just like mommy 🙂
Post # 11
If I have another child, I plan to opt for a c-section. When I gave birth to my daughter, a healthy almost 8lb beauty, I had 2 cervical tears and a 3rd degree tear requiring emegerency surgery right after she was born. My gyno has said that everything has healed up nicely, and I should be able to deliver naturally with no problem. I don’t want to take the risk. I’ve haven’t had any lasting complications, but I’d rather play is safe.
Post # 13
Also, I should mention that it has been almost 10 years since my last delivery.
Post # 14
I personally really want the whole nine yards natural birthing experience. I would totally go for a home waterbirth attended by a midwife.
However, when I get pregnant, we are going to be watching those ultrasounds like a hawk, because FH was HUGE when he was born (and there’s a 10 inch difference between us in height now), he had a gigantic head, and his shoulders almost killed his mom (literally). So I definitely know that a c-section is a possibility. I really don’t want one, but we’ll see what happens.
Post # 15
If your doctor reccomends a c-sectiong i would listen and take his advice.
Post # 16
The only reason you would prefer NOT to have a c-section is because of choosing the birthday? Truthfully, I don’t think that’s enough to put yourself and your baby at risk, knowing all the complications that can arise, especially since you’ve had complications before. If your doctor recommends the c-section, I would recommend following his or her advice. Maybe your baby will be ready to come earlier anyway, and he/she will pick their own birthday afterall.