- 5 years ago
- Wedding: December 2013
Sorry for all the questions about diamonds and rings! I have found this site to be quite helpful so I’m looking for some more advice.
Fiance and I have a diamond on hold at a jeweler down by where my parents live, around 6 hours away from where I live. It is a round brilliant G color, SI1 clarity, very good cut, 0.96 carats and the jeweler will sell it to us for $4,500 which I think is a pretty good price from my research on the internet. The diamond is beautiful in person as we saw it last weekend.
We went to the jeweler last night that FI’s brother got his FI’s ring from, and where my roomates boyfriend also got her ring. I didn’t care for the jeweler himself that much as he was much more in a hurry than the other one and kind of seemed like he didn’t want to deal with us. Anyway, he had similar diamonds but he was charging more than the jeweler back home so we were just going to go with the one by my parents.
Fiance got a call earlier today from my parents’ jeweler. He has a 1.18 carat, J color, SI1 clarity, excellent cut diamond that he will offer us for $5,700. Another couple had this diamond on hold and he just got the call that they are buying another diamond so this one is now available. Obviously we have not seen this diamond in person.
Fiance asked the jeweler if he could take some pictures of it since it’s pretty inconvenient for us to make another 6 hour drive. The jeweler did and I have not seen the pictures yet (stupid spam block on work computer) but Fiance said the diamond looks gorgeous. The jeweler photographed it next to the 0.96 carat one we had on hold and even though there is a slight difference in size, Fiance says that the cut on the bigger diamond really looks better. Even though that diamond was above his budget ($5,000) he said he would be willing to get it for me.
From what I could find online, this is a fabulous price. I think it’s because he is friends with my parents. I was going to get a platinum solitaire setting, but I feel bad asking for that since the diamond itself is over FI’s budget, so I don’t mind getting the setting in white gold instead.
I’m a little nervous buying something sight unseen; Fiance says we should go for it. The jeweler will only hold it until Saturday because like the 0.96 carat diamond, he thinks he will be able to sell this one rather fast.
Would you buy a diamond you haven’t seen in person? Part of my says get the 0.96 carat one then I can get platinum instead of white gold for the setting. The other part of my says to get the bigger diamond!
Thanks again for all your help!