Would you pay $400 to go up a grade on clarity and color of your stone?

posted 2 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Would you pay $400 for a better color and clarity?
    No way! There's little difference in an ideal cut. : (16 votes)
    35 %
    Absolutely! It's totally worth it. : (26 votes)
    57 %
    Other. (Please explain below) : (4 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 2
    6337 posts
    Bee Keeper

To the average naked eye, color and clarity are difficult to pick up on when you’re looking at a lone diamond. I don’t think I would pay extra for those characteristics.

Post # 3
    6339 posts
    Bee Keeper

Definitely not for color for me — I find an H to be plenty white.

For clarity, maybe. it depends if the inclusions in the cheaper stone bothered me and were easy to spot with the naked eye.

ETA: Oops, I didn’t see that you said the original was eye clean. Then probably not for clarity either.

Post # 4
    3376 posts
    Sugar bee

Cut- depends how bad it is but probably not

clarity – yes but if there is an inclusion that can be hidden with the setting no. Its a good identifier 

color  for an H no. Mine is an H and you can’t really see it. I can because I wear it everyday but it’s hard to spot by just someone taking a quick glance.

Carat well it depends on how big of a diamond you want. 

In the end its really what you want. I paid a little more to get a better diamond but thats just because i am picky. 

Post # 5
    356 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I would definitely see if you can see both options in person at the same time before you decide. It might not make any difference at all, or it might be noticibly different. Hard to know unless you see them compared.

Post # 6
    254 posts
    Helper bee

I think carat size also plays a factor here, what size are the stones? 

Post # 7
    2888 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

wonton98: depends. If it’s 1 or 10% of a premium, probably, especially since I’m color sensitive, and it’s not that much at that scale.

If it’s 100% premium on the price, then no. That’s essentially double the budget  

comes down to value at the margin For me. 

Post # 9
    26 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2016

I honestly thing it depends on what you want and why you want it. Plenty of people would pay 3x what I would just to get a real diamond – I want to be very conservative in how much money I wear on my person (DC can be a rough town!) and wanted something that I still loved (less expensive moissanite to the rescue!).

Ultimately the only thing you can ask is if the $400 will make you happier than the stone improvements. The answer will be different for everyone.

Post # 10
    528 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 1993

The most important thing in the performance of a diamond is cut so I would not buy a stone less than excellent or ideal. Also It has to be graded by GIA or AGS.  Color is subjective.  I have a J and it is very white to me. As far as clarity that is a mind as well as eye thing.  Some people mentally need to have better clarity grade Others are happy as long as it is eye clean.  Soooooo my answer is think about how color sensitive you are and how important inclusions are then you will know if it is worth it to you to spend the extra money. 

Post # 11
    254 posts
    Helper bee

If you’re upgrading to a S1 and G colour and you can easily afford the extra $400 then go for it. Im a bit funny about clarity 

Post # 12
    1315 posts
    Bumble bee

$400 isn’t much to go up I’m both colour and clarity so if it’s in your budget, I say go for it. But agree perhaps it’s worth seeing both stones to see if you notice a difference. 

Post # 13
    1274 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

It really depends as every single diamond is different! I would look at both in person if you can and choose the most appealing to you. Cut is very important as it’s a major factor in playing up the diamonds sparkle! In my opinion I would love a well cut buttery warm diamond that inclusions can bee seen to the naked eye as I find them extremely interesting and beautiful but cut well! 

Post # 14
    497 posts
    Helper bee

I would pay $400 for a better clarity diamond.  G vs H is not such an issue though.  

Post # 15
    8566 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

I would pay the extra money for better clarity. Not color though, H is pretty white, plus an ideal cut stone will look whiter.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors