Would you pay $600 for professional makeup and flowers if you were eloping?

posted 2 years ago in Beauty
Post # 4
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Extremely high for what I’m seeing in the pictures ! I would just do my own and practice a ton before hand and watch tutorials online! 🙂

Post # 5
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I would! If I eloped I would have saved a ton of money, so paying $600 for flowers and makeup for one of the most special days of my life would be worth it to me.

Post # 7
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

lionessa:  It depends how many and what type of flowers you want in your bouquet! Mine cost $300! It is totally up to you. Couples massage would be nice too 🙂

The makeup is what seems more overpriced IMO. I had a professional MUA come to my venue and do airbrush and fake eyelashes for $95. But in your situation I’d probably still do it.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  ltj14.
Post # 8
7410 posts
Busy Beekeeper

lionessa:  I don’t think you can really ask if we think it is too much because most people are going to respond that it is too much especially by American standards.

I think you need to find out if it is a good rate for Venice. Different markets equal different prices. Venice is an expensive place so it may very well be the going rate. You also have to factor in other things as well. Do you speak Italian? If not is this one of the only vendors thst do? Is that worth paying more for?

Post # 9
3560 posts
Sugar bee

lionessa:  Nope.  I didn’t elope but we did a simple JOP wedding, and I wasn’t wearing make up and we didn’t have flowers.  Saved us a ton, but then again that’s why we had a JOP wedding, we just didn’t want to spend the money and we honestly couldn’t afford it.

Post # 10
482 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014 - Maui

I agree with j_jaye. Whether or not that cost is too much depends on what is normally charged where you are getting married. I can tell you that I live in Japan, and a hair stylist/MUA here costs average around $600 and a bouquet costs around $250. I’m American and almost everything here is expensive to me, but there is no point comparing prices to prices back home because it’s usually not even possible to get things at such low prices here. I am assuming you are American since most people on this site seem to be, but I think you just need to assume the prices will be more than what you might pay in America.

Also whether you should pay that much depends on your priorities. I am also eloping, but to Maui. I’m paying a lot for my hair/makeup as well, but I am crap at those things so having a professional do my hair and makeup so that I am confident and look nice in pictures is important to me. I can’t have a trial so I chose someone with very good reviews, even though she is more expensive. However, flowers aren’t so important, so I’m just sticking with what I get through the elopement package.

Post # 11
3195 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

lionessa:  

Absolutely not. Why spend almost the cost of your dress on flowers and makeup for an elopement? Can’t you just buy a bouquet from a store or florist? You should be able to get a simple bouquet of roses for very little. 

Our flowers cost $225 and my makeup was complimentary when we eloped. The artist didn’t do the best job. I realized that I got what I paid for and our pictures were still gorgeous. 

For our vow renewal, I am spending $1000 on flowers and $120 for my make up. We are having 35 guests and our reception will be in a luxury hotel. Our flowers are fake to save money. 

Post # 12
201 posts
Helper bee

I would, for sure. An elopement is just as special (if not more so!) than a big wedding, and why shouldn’t you get to look and feel amazing?

I think that $300 for the flowers and $300 for the make-up is reasonable.

I semi-eloped (5 guests) and went all out for make-up and hair and don’t regret it a bit!

Post # 13
232 posts
Helper bee

I would pay for professional makeup, because personally I couldn’t match it no matter how long I practiced. I would also buy a bouquet, but probably for less than $300.

Post # 14
213 posts
Helper bee

I eloped in Europe too and got my own flowers and did my own hair and makeup. I regret doing my own flowers and my own hair. I liked my own make up, as I am very particular about my make up. I wouldn’t go with her prices though, they are REALLY steep (even for europe!).

Post # 15
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I’m in Australia and my bouquet is $225 and my make-up (including trial ) is $175.  These are competitive rates where I am getting married – no special flowers etc.  So I don’t consider the prices you have been quoted to be outrageous.  It all depends on your priorities…I am really looking forward to having my make-up done by a professional.  It will likely be the only time in my life that I pay someone to do this.  $175 for a lifetime’s worth of professional makeup doesn’t seem so bad to me! It’s a treat.  My bouquet is my only professional flower spend.  I’m doing supermarket flowers for the tables, so again, when I average out my flower spend it’s not so bad.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors