(Closed) Would you tip makeup artist and DJ

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 4
Member
2335 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

You’re not obligated to tip someone who owns their own business, but I probably still will.  I pinned this a while back, its helpful.

A handy cheat sheet for tipping your wedding vendors!

Post # 5
Member
4442 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

Nope, both my DJ and makeup artist are the owners of their companies and they will not receive a tip from me!

Post # 6
Member
272 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Even though my hair stylist and makeup artist own their own businesses, I had planned to tip.

The hair stylist builds an automatic 20% tip into her final balance, which ticked me off. The makeup artist only builds in a tip (also 20%) for parties of 5 of more – I guess she’s had issues getting paid properly for bigger groups. Clearly, they both expect tips.

Like, I said, I always planned to tip them, but it does grind my gears, to quote Peter Griffin, that it’s built into the final balance owed!

Post # 7
Member
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m a MUA and i’d say i get tipped about 75% of the time.  the other 25% just didn’t know any better i belive.  i don’t expect it but i do appreciate it a great deal. 

that being said, i always tip 20% for any service that i receive and will definitely do so on my wedding day.  the vendors you use go out of their way to make your day an amazing one for you so i think they deserve a little extra to show my appreciation.  i figure a lot of times their efforts go unnoticed.

Post # 8
Member
3093 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Why is it not for vendors who are also the owner?

 

Post # 9
Member
2363 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@janetsnakehole:  i agree.   Whether they own their own business or not… if they do a great job, they deserve a tip.  

Post # 10
Member
496 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 1993

IDK about the DJ…but I would tip the makeup artist.

Post # 11
Member
3093 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Is it not required or bad ett to give a tip if the vendor is the owner?

 

sorry to ask twice but i wanted to clarify, and subscribe since our photog owns her business, but she has no staff or anything, her full time job is being a school teacher.  we have a tip budgeted out for her.

Post # 12
Member
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

From a personal perspective, my mom owned a hair salon for over 30 yrs.  Even tho she was the owner, she always received tips after services and especially for travelling for brides, etc..

Part of it – even tho they are the owner, they pay a ton to taxes, buying products, paying the rent, etc and are still an artist.  It is customary for any MUA or Stylist to receive a tip whether they are an owner or not.

I do have a question about my officiant and dj tho.

Both are REALLY close friends of mine.  My officiant is someone I have known since grade school. He married a mutual friend and when we got engaged and he offered.  I jumped!  So while I wouldn’t tip him, I would love to get him a special gift.  Any ideas?

Same goes for the DJ.  He is an amazing local dj, massive music collector, great friend that we hang out with often.  He won’t take a dime and this is my gift he says.  So I would love to give him something special as well.  He is a massive music collector so I can probably find something for him easily.

Any help is appreciated on ideas for them!!

Post # 13
Hostess
7568 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

It’s not customary to tip the business owner because they profit from your business.

Other workers only get a standard/fixed wage so they are tipped.

Post # 14
Member
507 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@BooRadley:  Thank you. Saved in the wedding file!

Post # 15
Member
334 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I had sealed tip envelopes ready to go for my vendors but didn’t need them for my DJ or make-up artist. My MUA was over an hour late arriving to do bridal party makeup and was rude to me during my application= NO Tip.

DJ was awful playing the wrong songs during the ceremony & maining during my entrance. He even called me by the wrong name all evening long. = Noooo tip for a terrible job. If anything, I’m fighting for a refund.

Post # 16
Member
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@LadyLewis12:  totally agree for that one.  a tip is meant to show that the service provided went above and beyond, IMO. 

I wouldn’t tip in those situations either.

The topic ‘Would you tip makeup artist and DJ’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors