Post # 1
I’m 37 and pregnant of 8 weeks and extremely happy about it. Only one issue is worrying me right now: undergoing amniocentesis: yes or no? So many sleepless nights trying to find an answer!
My husband would be against it, while for me it’s really hard to make a decision. A part of me would like to make sure everything’s fine and undergo the operation, while the other one wants to protect me from all sorts of bad news that might result from it…
I’d love to hear other bees’ opinions, thanks!
Post # 3
Well, I think a lot has to do with what choices the test will make for you. There are some non invasive tests that tell with less certainty about what the conditions may or may not be when the baby is born but the ammnio carries a higher risk of problems even if there are no birth defects or congenital diseases present. To me, when none of the results from a somewhat high risk amnio would change what we would do with the baby, we wouldn’t have one. The non invasive ones to possibly be prepared issues yes but the risks aren’t worth bthe benefit of the amino tests. But you have to weigh pros amd cons for your own situation.
Post # 4
@sasi: i chose not to,because of the risks.I had my little girl at your age.Congrats by the way xx
Post # 6
This is so tough. I think I would seriously consider it if I was 35+ since the risks of Down’s are higher. Have you thought about what you would do if the test showed abnormalities? If you would consider aborting then there is more reason to undergo an amnio. My mum had one with me at 38 and all was fine. Good luck whatever you choose.
Post # 7
I had that choice 22 years ago. I was 37, and thought long and hard about it. I decided that I wouldn’t abort if Down syndrome was discovered, and there were no other genetic problems suspected. (Down wasn’t either….it was the protocol in those days to do the test because of age). One of my deciding points was that the results wouldn’t be in until about the 5th months, AFTER I started to feel the baby move. Just couldn’t do it. What I also discovered was that the percentage of having a baby with problems was LESS than the percentage of losing the pregnancy BECAUSE of the test. This was a long fought for pregnancy. I had to undergo treatment to GET pregnant, and lost one before this. So I refused. And 2 OBGYNs wouldn’t deliver me. I found a third who agreed, and everything was fine. My daughter is turning 23 in 2 weeks. Good luck with your decision. Be as informed as you can, and you’ll feel better about whatever you decide.
Post # 8
@tanyanubin: Thanks for sharing your experience, reading your post really helped. I agree that information is essential before making a decision.
Post # 9
I had an amnio, because during an ultrasound that showed a cyst on his spine. We chose this route not to abort if something was wrong, but to be in informed about this possible disability before he was born. Learn how to handle the physical and mental aspects. For a little piece of mind.
Post # 10
Are you in the US? If so, there is a new test Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) that replaces the amnio for detecting chromosomal abnormalities (I believe, just google it). It is super new so insurance might not cover it but it is just a blood test so wayyyy less invasive.
Post # 11
I would because (don’t flame me) but my Fiance and I would seriously consider all of our options if amnio showed something…
However, if you know that no matter what you will keep your baby, then it’s not really necessary.
My mom had amnio done with my sister because she was 35 and had a false test result – which obviously caused stress and the need for more tests. In the end, everything worked out but false readings are possible. She didn’t regret getting it done though, because she wanted to have the ability to consider all her options.
Post # 12
Nope I wouldn’t. I know sometimes they really push it, and there may be tests that indicate problems could be present. We’re having a baby, it might not be perfect, but like PP said sometimes the test itself causes more problems.
Post # 13
thanks ladies! I’m seeing my gyne. tomorrow, for the first ultrasound and I’m going to have a long talk with him. I heard about NIPT here in Switzerland too and know there are a few private clinics already using this method,It’s a tough decision! Thanks again.
Post # 14
- Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY
@sasi: I know it’s very new but here in the US they JUST came out with a blood test you can do at 10 weeks, with similar results to an amnio. Maybe you can research that? Again, I heard it in the news like only 2 months ago.
Post # 15
I would definitely not have it done due to the risk of miscarriage.
Post # 16
This is actually something I worry about, since I’ll probably be 36 by the time we have our first child. For me, it would depend on the level of risk and the amount of complications to date. But I would probably say no because I’m highly terrified of needles, there are other tests that could be done, and I’m not sure it would change much anyway.