- 3 years ago
- Wedding: August 2014
So I was trying to come up with a tip sheet for writing your own wedding vows (I’ve been to wedding with some of the most uncomfortable vows and just drafted my own). This is what I’ve come up with so far and was wondering what other bees thought, and might add to the list. (Bear in mind I have a very snarky writing style)
Writing Your Own Wedding Vows
1. Don’t wait until the day of your wedding: On your big day you’ll have a million things to focus on. Trying to write your vows in between getting your hair done and putting on your dress will only add more stress.
2. Don’t write your vows when drunk, high, or stoned: It may sound brilliant then, but when you’re at the alter “I like cheese sticks” doesn’t make as much sense.
3. Know your audience: While you’re talking to your FI remember that your great-aunt, their grandmother and other ‘sensitive’ people might be in the audience, so leave out elaborate and detailed descriptions of your bedroom duties and delights.
4. Avoid embarrassment: This is not the time to trot out personal and embarrassing stories.
5. A note on humor: Be careful of using humor, not only can it easily fall flat, but it can also end up hurting people and lead to that embarrassed and uncomfortable laugh from your guests.
6. Write it down: Do not trust yourself to remember your vows! Write them down, make them legible and printed large enough you can read them! Give a copy to your officiate and/or bridesmaids and groomsmen.
7. Feel free to plagiarize: This is not a high school English paper, if there are poems, songs, quotes that you love, by all means use it!
8. Short and sweet: You don’t have to speak at length, sometimes quality matters more than quantity. You don’t want guests to start squirming in their seats. In addition you don’t have to say everything at once; you’ll also have a chance during the toasts to say more.
9. It’s alright to cry: Emotion is a wonderful thing. It’s a wonderful day so crying is not only permissible it’s almost expected.
10. Remember why you fell in love!