Post # 1
Hi Bees! It’s me, worry wart, again!
I’ll make this quick. I had two hcg quants done due to spotting. The first one was at about 6 weeks and 6 days and was 5,718 mIU/ml. Approximately 64 hours my hcg had risen to 6,4something (can’t remember the exact number) mIU/ml. I know that once the hcg level gets above 1,200, it can take anywhere from 72 – 96 hours to double. I also know that the only true indicator of the health of the pregnancy will be an ultrasound (which is scheduled for Thursday afternoon). My symptoms continue as they have for the past weeks with the exception of my appetite. It has gone from voracious to nothing really appeals even though I’m nauseated by hunger. The midwife told me she thinks it’s okay to be cautiously optimisitic, but to wait for the ultrasound for the final verdict. Just wondering if any bees have been through something similar with regards to hcg levels and what those experiences were. In my head I’m already convinced I have a blighted ovum and am almost dreading the ultrasound on Thursday.
Post # 2
I hate to be negative, but it was a blighted ovum for me. My levels were low and slow rising, they got up to the 7 thousands at 7w2d but I had an ultrasound that same day showing an empty sac, and I miscarried at 8w0d. I hope for a better outcome for you.
Post # 3
ZoeCarroll: I also don’t want to be negative, but slow to double numbers was also the indicator to me that something wasn’t right. Mine happened earlier, and wouldn’t double at first. Mine ended up being ectopic, which I’m guessing you’d already have symptoms of with those numbers (I had internal bleeding and pain at 6,000). To be positive, it is normal for numbers to take more than 96 hours once you hit 6,000 so it very well could be totally fine, and I don’t believe your numbers are low at all for gestation. Either way you will definitely know by Thursday, as something will show up on the ultrasound with numbers that high. Betas are a cruel test to go through as they can have you worrying for nothing! My fingers are crossed you see a happy bean thursday!
Post # 4
I appreciate both of your responses even if they were about bad outcomes. Honestly, since I’ve had the whole spotting thing, I’ve been all riled up about whether this was a sticky pregnancy or not, but I’ve reached a calm place after thinking about the pros and the cons of both possible scenarios (healthy vs non-viable pregnancy). Of course I REALLY want this to be a healthy pregnancy and to be a mother and I will be quite sad if this pregnancy does not work out! However, this was our first month of TTC and now I know my body can get pregnant. The other aspect of this pregnancy is that I recently finished grad school and am currently looking for a job (which if this pregnancy sticks, means that I would be starting while in, or pretty darn close to, the second trimester, which may not please my future employer). I feel that while I am dying for this pregnancy to be healthy (and hoping with all my might that on Thursday we see a happy little bean), it is the limbo (slowly rising hcg levels… no u/s until Thursday afternoon to see what’s, or what’s not, going on) that is KILLING ME! I’m just hoping that my fallopian tube doesn’t explode in the meantime, though I’ve had absolutely no symptoms of an ectopic… UGH!