(Closed) Your favorite & least favorite baby items

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
1359 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I don’t have any of my own, but I am a nanny! From my experience with my nephew, the papasan shaped swings are amazing. That being said, my two girls that I nanny hate swings.  Go figure.

Also – I can’t remember if you said if you were having a boy or a girl! – I’ve heard that those pee shields are a waste of money and to just use a wipe. Lol. From two people, I’ve heard that the Summer Soothing Spa bathtub is another waste of money..

Realizing how negative I am –

I love the bumbo seat! And white noise machines are fantastic. Shh-ing for a long time leaves you spitty and thirsty. Tongue out

ETA – The video monitors are the most amazing – albeit unnecessary – thing ever. I really loved being able to see if she was just screaming because she was angry she was in her crib, or hurt herself (or god forbid lost her binky!). It also helped me catch her in the act the first time she escaped her crib (in silence!), pooped in her bed, etc etc.

Post # 4
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My baby is 12 weeks old and I can’t live without a noisy fan (or you could get white noise machine as PP said), a night light so I don’t have to turn the light on at night, and the Angelcare monitor (I went with deluxe version because the heat in our house is really random so it’s nice to see temp), the boppy pillow, and our swaddling blanket. They sell the swaddle thing that is fleece but it’s too hot for my baby so we have a really thin blanket my grandma ordered online somewhere that is especially for swaddling. Also, my boy loves his swing!!!

Post # 5
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I never used my boppy. The baby swing was a TOTAL lifesaver. If you can get one that plugs into the wall, it will save you some money because they eat up batteries pretty quickly.

Post # 6
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

My favorite newborn items: SwaddleMe swaddle blankets, Aden and Anais swaddle blankets, footed Sleep n’ Play outfits that snap or zip up the front (so you don’t have to put anything over baby’s head or worry about socks), bouncy seat, Aveeno baby wash and lotion, hooded towels, Bordeaux’s Butt Paste, and Born Free bottles.

Post # 7
1046 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Swaddling blankets, life savers! I loved our Boppy too, but I don’t think you’d need one if you’re not breastfeeding.

I never used the baby monitor. I think they’re better for people with big houses or who go outside to smoke often.

Post # 8
423 posts
Helper bee

Absolutely LOVE:

• Aden & Anais swaddling blankets

• Stream/Ocean noise maker app for iPhone (called Sleepmaker All in One)

• Soothie Pacifier

• Activity Mat with Lamaze toys (Friendly the Firefly and Stretch the Giraffe)

• Kayla loves her little grippy ball…let me see if I can find a photo

• Boppy

• They have these outfits that can button into legged things or button in front and back to make a sleep sack with elastic opening at the bottom (this also may be confusing buy they were my favorite)

• Burp Rags and TONS of them since Kayla was and still is a serious spitter

• Ergo baby carrier

• Felt sheets from Babies R Us that are waterproof for the bed at night to prevent damage from pooplosions and spitting up ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sophie teething toy

• Rings Kayla LOVES these things to bit on and hold on to (rings)

Probably could have gone without (although I know a lot of people really like them):

• Bouncer/Swing (we still occasionally used both but Kayla mostly spends time on the activity mat now)

• Monitor is maybe unnecessary but I still use it for peace of mind ๐Ÿ™‚

• too many blankets although I love them

All that being said…if you are into yoga…I have recently found my yoga mat SUPER helpful for hardwood floors and I have a yoga bolster that is great for a baby prop. ๐Ÿ™‚  You may find your opinions change on things when baby makes his/her debut!!
Edit:  Found that ball toy I was talking about….here.  It is AWESOME when they are learning how to grip toys because it’s so easy for them to grab onto.  Kayla is constantly trying to put it in her mouth.  I have lost two of them and keep going back to buy a new one!

Post # 9
801 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

My LO is only 13 weeks old so I have a limited view but so far my favorites have been:

• sleep sheep
  • cradle swing (hand me down from my sister but a lifesaver when you are home alone and he just won’t sleep when not being held!)
  • puj tub
  • aden & anais swaddle blankets
  • nosefrida (my guy is always congested thanks to my husband’s allergies that he genetically seemed to have shared)
  • jersey knit sheets (they don’t feel cold when you lay him down but they aren’t too fluffy or pill like fleece can)
  • HAVA sling
  • MAM pacifiers

We don’t have a ton of stuff so everything we have we pretty much use or are starting to use as he gets older.

Post # 11
240 posts
Helper bee

My baby is 5 months old.  Here are my FAVORITES:

Breastfeeding Pillow:  My BrestFriend Deluxe Nursing Pillow.  Better than the Boppy.  Stays in place and has pocket to hold cell phone, wipes or anything else you might need

Places to park your baby:  Boppy Newborn Lounger.  She would lay and nap on this thing and it doubled as a support pillow for when I was holding her while sitting on the couch.

Clothes:  Footed PJs from Gerber/Carters/Circo.  They are cheap, and usually on sale somewhere.  And get the ones that ZIP UP as opposed to the ones that snap at the bottom  (much easier for diaper changes)

Chair (another place to park the baby): Fisher Price bouncer vibrating chair Comfy Time.  We decided to try this one out before getting one of those really expensive swings.  Luckily she liked this one and it worked fine.  It’s a little garish looking but she loves the little hanging toys.

Carrier/sling:  Baby K’Tan carrier.  We also have the Moby Wrap or Sleepy Wrap, but K’Tan was easier to figure out.  

Stroller:  We use the Graco Snugride for carseat/lightweight stroller.  It is a little lighter than the Chicco Keyfit.  For our big stroller, we have the Uppa Baby Vista which is AWESOME.  (we live in a big city so a heavy duty stroller is essential)

-Random:  Nosefrida, aka ‘the snotsucker’.  I was skeptical.  But my baby had a lot of stuffy noses early on and those syringe balls weren’t cutting it.  This was the most highly rated one on Amazon and Diapers.com and it works.

There haven’t been too many items I’ve hated but here is what I think is overrated:

-The Nap Nanny Chair.  Expensive, bulky.  My kid preferred the entertainment of the vibrating chair better.  

-Woombie Swaddle or Swaddleme Blankets.  (the straight jackets for babies).  She would get all twisted in these and her little hands would stick out the top when trying to escape.  A regular blanket worked just fine.

-Cutesy precious baby outfits.  Don’t get me wrong, I love these and they are adorable.  But the reality is that your baby is going to be spending most of her first few months indoors at home, either eating or sleeping.  I feel badly.  We got so many cute outfits that she outgrew before she got a chance to wear them.  

Post # 13
5154 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

My Favs :

I LOVE the My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow…I have the boppy too and it doesn’t even come close for me for feeding. I may use the boppy when she is older to let her sit but right now it is sitting in our spare room. The brest friend gives me a little back support, a spot to rest my arm and best of all I don’t have to reposition her a million times.

Pump In Style by Medela is amazing if you are breastfeeding…I am a SAHM but I’ve already been able to store a ton of milk by using this

Aden & Anais swaddling blankets are great…the large size makes swaddling much easier!

Fisher Price My Little Lamb cradle & swing is pricey but amazing…she loves it and we use it every day, a TON a day

Moby wrap carrier for newborn age is great and good for skin to skin time too ๐Ÿ™‚

Burp Cloths ( I really like the terry cloth ones best)

Recieving Blankets ( I like the ones carters has, they are large and soft too with cute prints)

Pack n’ Play with bassinet feature and changing table (AMAZING! We are using this as our room in bassinet and it works perfectly! and the one we bought has storage under it too!)

Post # 14
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Love this list. Thanks!

Post # 15
3587 posts
Sugar bee

@absolutbettie: How old was your baby when she tried to escape the swaddling sack? I have 1 halo sack so far and I hope my baby isn’t an escape artist.LOL

Post # 16
240 posts
Helper bee

@MsMamaBear:  my baby started bustin out of the woombies from day one home from the hospital!  we had both the plain zip-up ones and the more complex velcro/swaddle types and her hands would be tucked under her chin and peeking out a few minutes later for both.  i think what she wanted the whole time was just to suck on her thumb which still comforts her like nothing else, it’s amazing (yes i know it may end up being a bad habit we’re gonna have to break her from eventually!).  so for her, sucking was more comforting than swaddling.  so the swaddle sack was preventing her from getting to her little thumbs.  we have friends who swear by them, so i know they work for a lot of babies!  

The topic ‘Your favorite & least favorite baby items’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors