0.5 carat with halo

posted 2 months ago in Rings
Post # 2
5461 posts
Bee Keeper

A .5 with a halo isn’t going to be that much bigger than a .5 solitaire. I’ve learned that I’m better off deferring my gratification until I have the money to get what i really want. Putting money toward a halo to make the stone look bigger is not necessarily the way to go. I don’t like to pay for things I’m not sure will work. I’m sure a larger stone will work. I’m less sure about the halo. 

Sorry, I always take the long view.

Post # 3
1342 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@qwety573:  I’d order a stand in to try it out before committing! 

Post # 4
1739 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

Those are some of my suggestions. Look up starburst halo, snowflake halo, cluster

A big traditional halo will dwarf your stone. A small halo won’t give you much more coverage. I think embracing the center stone with the right prong placements and uneven surrounding stones would be more visually appealing.

Post # 5
1434 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I don’t have one, but I googled it … I feel like it does provide a little more finger coverage. But I agree order a CZ on Amazon and check it out!

Post # 6
6496 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
@sunburn:  I get what you’re saying re a halo being very different from a solitaire and so not necessarily sating the desire for a larger solitaire; but I disagree that a halo doesn’t make much difference size/finger coverage wise, because they absolutely do.

View original reply
@qwety573:  OP: a halo will give a lot more coverage. I have a 1.04ct marquise, and with the (dainty) halo the surface area is a LOT larger; if it were a single stone it would be approx. 3.2ct

Now whether you would like a halo is a whole different issue; a lot of people prefer solitaires and if that’s the case with you, I agree with PP that you would be better off waiting and upgrading to a larger centre stone when you are able to.

Post # 7
1739 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

View original reply
@jaydeeplatinum:  I love that .5 halo! It looks great with the slim pave band. Slimmer band definitely helps as well. Proportions matter.

Now I’m curious to see what you’ll do!

Post # 8
432 posts
Helper bee

I don’t like halos at all. I think a small solitaire is much nicer.

Post # 9
3167 posts
Sugar bee

Looking at the photo above it is clear that a 0.5 carat diamond with a halo definitely looks bigger than a 0.5 solitaire.

I think that the OP will need to try a few on to see which she likes best. The size of the halo stones (in relation to the centre stone and the finger) will crucial to the overall effect but I’m sure there will be something very beautiful out there.

The other thing is that even if the diamond is round the halo doesn’t to be round. This means that the ring can be both beautiful and unconventional. Even tiny variations from circular can make a significant difference to the look. For instance:

Eva 0.5 Carat Diamond Ring with Halo Diamond Setting

For something decidedly edgier, although pricy, try Artemer.

Post # 12
72 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

View original reply
@qwety573:  my original e-ring was a .5 with a double halo. 

Post # 13
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
@qwety573:  hi, I know you stated that you’ve made up your mind on going with a halo 🙂 did you give any thought to other options? You could add some smaller side stones, that would give you additional coverage. I hope you won’t mind but I’ll share what I did with my mother’s solitaire that she passed on to me. I added the diamonds from the earrings she gave me and added a floating halo. Stacking with other bands could also create and interesting stack with some dimension and more coverage. Can’t wait to see what you do! Good luck. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors