0.70 carat solitaire or pave band? 4 or 6 prongs?

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 3
658 posts
Busy bee

It is all personal preference. I prefer plain bands as I’m not a fan of pave, but totally understand why others like it. 

I think 6 prongs is technically more secure, but with 0.70 you can get away with either. Again it comes down to personal preference. I have a 4 prong solitaire as I think it allows more light to get to the stone, and while some say that 4 prongs can ‘square off’ a round stone I actually like that. I love cushion cuts so I think my ring looking sometimes cushion/sometimes round is a bonus. 

My advice is do some research into pave vs plain and 4 prong vs 6 prong (and try them on if you can!) to decide what you like. 

Post # 4
658 posts
Busy bee

(my ring for reference) 

Post # 5
218 posts
Helper bee

Agree with PP that it just depends on your preference.

I have a .7 carat white gold solitaire with 4 prongs….So that is what I would choose. Haha 

Post # 6
802 posts
Busy bee

For round diamonds under 1ct, I prefer 4 prongs and a plain solitaire so the diamond isn’t overwhelmed with prongs and pave.

Post # 7
1133 posts
Bumble bee

Definitely personal preference. I too have a .70 round solitaire with 4 prongs. It does sometimes resemble a cushion cut. My band is plain, so I’ll add a diamond eternity wedding band. I love pave bands. My coworker has a .5 round e-ring with a pave band, and a matching plain wedding band. It’s one of the loveliest sets I’ve ever seen. 

I stole these off the internet to give you an idea of the different sets. 

Post # 8
58 posts
Worker bee

.71 6 prong solitaire 🙂 it’s all personal preference! 

Post # 9
640 posts
Busy bee

I would do a plain band, as it gives you more options for wedding bands in the future.

Personally I have a pave solitaire, but that’s because I want a plain wedding band.

6 prongs makes the diamond bigger looking, but it can reduce the light coming in which could reduce the sparkle on stones under 1ct in weight.

Post # 10
1315 posts
Bumble bee

Plain band and 6 prongs! I love the look of 6 prongs! 

View original reply
@azgirlengaged:  gorgeous!!

Post # 11
922 posts
Busy bee

I would love to someday get a round diamond in a hidden halo solitaire. I love that its classic at first glance but has a little something extra 🙂

Moissanite Secret Halo Diamond Ring in 18K White Gold

Post # 12
331 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2021

View original reply
@sugarcloud:  Yes!!! I love the hidden halo look! Simple and classic with that little ‘something extra’. 

Regarding pave or plain band – it truly is personal preference. Both look lovely from what I’ve seen! I really prefer pave and was only considering that when deciding between solitaire and halo (think I’m going to go with halo!), but my friend really wanted a plain band and it looks really nice for her. 

I personally like the look of 6 prongs just a tiny bit more and I feel like it’s a little more secure BUT – that is MY opinion. My opinion shouldn’t matter.

Best of luck!!

Post # 14
193 posts
Blushing bee

I think a plain solitaire setting is so lovely and classic. The hidden halo idea is gorgeous too! I would say 4 prongs for something under 1 carat, or if you prefer 6, maybe ask to have very dainty prongs so it doesn’t take away from the diamond. However, it’s all personal preference!

Post # 15
432 posts
Helper bee

My preference would be a plain band and 6 prongs made by someone who is very skilled at making fine prongs – not all prongs are equal and I think that can become even more apparent with smaller stones. Have them show you different styles and samples of their work. I love claw prongs, personally. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors