(Closed) 0.65 solitaire or .50 halo? so torn!

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
3000 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

This totally depends on preference and you’ll probably find a 50/50 split of opinions here on WB. I vote for halo because I have one and love the look more than a solitaire. What kind of wedding band do you want? 

Post # 4
1628 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I’d go with the style you like rather than the size. Unless you’re holding a .5 up to a .65 you won’t really be able to see a difference on your hand.  The halo will make the .5 look larger anyway.  I’d just go with your gut!

(and personally, I adore a halo!)

Post # 5
7609 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I like the halo better but it all comes down to personal preference!  Have you gone to any stores in person to try on different styles to see what suits you best?

Post # 5
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

If you’re looking for finger coverage, I’d go with the halo. I think it will look bigger than a .65 solitaire. I usually like solitaires, but I kind of wish mine were a halo because I prefer more finger coverage.

Post # 5
3969 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I would go with the solitaire… sometimes I do love me a halo! But in this case, I really think it’ll be a classic, and I like to think (at least in my case) that the diamond/ring will be passed down to future generations.

Post # 6
2638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

I’d take a soliatire over a halo every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Post # 7
14402 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Given those choices in size, I’d go for a halo for finger coverage.  The halo will make the .5 look larger.

Post # 8
454 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I am a halo girl, but you need to pick the style you will love!  (They’re both really gorgeous!)

Post # 9
4478 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Since you never plan on upgrading or changing the setting, I’d suggest whichever one you daydream about more.  A solitaire will always be classic and is more practical.  Halos have a little extra impact and are quite romantic.

There are settings called “bloom” settings that are a tight micropave halos that peek out from the bottom of the setting.  They’re a nice compromise between the halo and solitaire style.

Plain shank halos are a nice in between as well.  I was in a similar boat as you, and ended up choosing this one, because it’s got the best of halo and solitaire:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/-18k-White-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

Post # 10
331 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

i had a .50 princess cut center stone set in a halo setting and now i have a 1.25ct solitaire the halo made my .50 center stone the same size as my solitaire. if you want it to look bigger go with the halo and if you love bling why not! =]

Post # 11
2951 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

id go with solitaire!

you can always add a halo down the road if you like.

Post # 12
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Like PP have said, go for what you love and dream of. When I first started looking I was looking at halo settings, but after really thinking about it I opted for a classic setting. I made that decision because I knew down the road I would not change my mind about the setting because it was classic and traditional. My ring is a channel set band, so I still get the extra sparkles! 🙂

Post # 13
243 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I honestly think you need to try them on and see what you like on your finger. After I had decided on my ring, I saw a halo and thought “hmm I love that I wonder if I’m making a mistake?” But then I tried it on and I hated it on my finger. I think if you tried them both on you would know. You can still order online!

The topic ‘0.65 solitaire or .50 halo? so torn!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors