(Closed) 0.75 or 1 carat for a size 5.75 ring?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
  • poll: My ring size is 5.75. What carat size should I get for my moissanite bezel solitaire?
    0.75 carats : (34 votes)
    31 %
    1 carat : (76 votes)
    69 %
  • Post # 3
    3248 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

I voted for the 1ct because your description of your fingers matches what my fingers look like.  I also wear a similar size to you.  I love bezel sets but feel that the bezel at times will make the stone look smaller IMO.

Post # 4
    3228 posts
    Sugar bee

@crookedframe:  Your fingers sound exactly like mine and we have the same finger size! I think we need a bit more finger coverage. In the past I have felt that 1 carat is too large for my hands but they say DSS kicks in fast. Either size I think would look great ! My dream size has always been .75 – 1.00… I’m just picky about shapes and I don’t feel certain shapes have to be so large. I’m torn between thinking bezel makes a stone larger or smaller. I think it depends on the setting. 

So after all my rambling.. I vote for the 1ct!

Post # 5
    9956 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

I am a Size 7, and have very short stubby fingers (longest one is a mere 2-3/4 Inches long)

My hands look best with a ring that has some width to it… so that is what I went with.

My E-Ring is just under 2 CTW, an assortment of Rounds & Baguettes in the 18K White Gold Setting, and the feature stone is a .80 Good Cut (Quality) Round Brilliant – SI Clarity – with F Colour.

When we bought my ring, we had the opportunity / option of something in the 3/4 Carat size (0.69 to 0.82) OR the 1 Carat size (0.95 to 1.05).  As the price points change significantly for Diamonds with each of the most popular increments ie… 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00 etc.  We felt it best to stick with the value that was found at the 3/4 Diamond Size vs making the leap up to the 1.00 Carat Range* and paying A LOT MORE for something, which once in the setting wouldn’t read that much bigger any how.

*NOTE –Carat Range, most people don’t know that when Jewellers talk Carats they are actually talking “a range” this is because Diamonds don’t all come / or can be precisely cut effectively to showcase the stone to the increments we all use as markers.

Hope this helps,

As well there is a really handy-dandy graph that shows Percentage of Finger Coverage, based on the Carat Size and one’s Finger Size.

Post # 6
    1068 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Mine isn’t a bezel, but I’m a size 5 and this is my 1.02 carat.

Post # 7
    1171 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I voted 1 ct (and this from a girl who chose the smaller of two stones herself!). Size 5.75 is not actually very small, if you have the option I think 1 ct would look much better on that finger size.

Whatever you do, do NOT choose based on worries over what other people might think — 1 ct is not going to raise any eyebrows. Try out so some diamonds in similar sizes and see what you like. Besides, if you are still worried about public perception, what do they know? A 1 ct diamond is not outrageously expensive (esp if you get one with an inclusion hidden somewhere), so it is reasonable that a person on a modest income might’ve saved for it over a long time. Or it could be a family stone, et cetera et cetera.

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!! Can’t wait to see picks (of whatever size lol), that setting is gorgeous and classic.

Post # 8
    2778 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@valintine:  Thats what I was going to say.  I have a 1.25 carat on a size 5 finger and the diamond cost less than 2K it has a hidden inclusion.  You have to look really hard to see it.  It’s easier to see if you take the ring off and inspect it because its on the side of the diamond.

No one really gawks and wonders how he afforded it. Geographical area could have something to do with that too.  I don’t see a lot of 1 carat diamonds here but I see enough of them that is not a complete rarity in these parts. 

@crookedframe:  I say for for the 1 carat!  I have had the dreaded DDS too, but its just because I stare at it all day so I forget how big it actually looks on my finger lol.  You’ll have days were it seems tiny and days where it seems more like a 2ct ring but everyday you’ll look at it and be reminded of how much your FI loves you.  I know I smile everytime I look at mine. 🙂

Post # 9
    2363 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I wear 1.06 ct on a size 5.75 finger.  I think the bezel will make your stone look larger, not smaller!

Post # 12
    378 posts
    Helper bee

Just to offer a different perspective… 

I just upgraded my center stone to a .75 and I was considering a 1 carat as well (I have a 5.5 sized finger) But ultimately went with the smaller stone and I am really glad I did. I’ve heard that Moissanite (which I have) is cut to maximize the table surface of the stone so they end up appearing larger. My jeweller said my stone measured to be the equivalent of a .8 because of the cut of the round moissanite. I’m not trying to pass mine off as a diamond but I also didn’t want people asking questions about how my husband could afford 1 carat. So far no one has asked that, but their reactions are all something like “omg that is huge!!” Which makes me feel slightly uncomfortable…

i just wanted to offer a different perspective of someone who was debating the same thing and ended up happy with the smaller option 🙂

Post # 13
    1926 posts
    Buzzing bee

I want to prove to you that you don’t need to feel self-conscious about the 1 carat- I have MUCH smaller fingers than you (between a 4.25 and 4.5) and I love the way a 1 carat in a halo looks on my fingers. Don’t be afraid to go bigger! I’m sure that it’ll look PERFECT! 

Post # 14
    172 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

My ring is a 3/4 carat center stone, I think about 1 carat total weight. I have 5.5 finger. I told FH that this was the size I wanted for the center stone because I thought something bigger would look odd on my finger!

Post # 16
    1906 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I have a 1ct on my 5.5, and i feel its a good size.  However occasionally I get it in my head that it is too big, so I think that honestly either would be perfect.

The topic ‘0.75 or 1 carat for a size 5.75 ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors