(Closed) 09/11/10 …How do you deal with the comments on “your” day?

posted 8 years ago in September 2010
Post # 3
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I tell people it was 9 years ago, babies are born on 9-11, people get married on 12-7 (pearl harbor)!!  I live in a college town (University of Georgia) so I also tell them that it was available and it was an away football game!

Post # 4
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I don’t think there is anything wrong with getting married on 9/11. It’s your day and a day of celebration! It is a day to be remembered and a wedding is a great occasion  for that.

Post # 5
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I tell them that it’s a good opportunity to change the meaning of the day and reflect on the importance of family and friends and not taking things for granted. That usually shuts them up pretty quick 😉

Post # 6
1757 posts
Buzzing bee

We wanted a Saturday in September. #1 is Labor Day and we didn’t want to interfere with people’s holiday plans. #3 and #4 are Jewish holidays, and while neither my fiance nor I are Jewish, some of our guests are and we wanted them to be able to attend. That left us with #2, which is the 11th. After checking in with our close DC- and NYC-based friends and getting the “go ahead” from all of them, we signed the venue contract.

Post # 7
2859 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

Wow, I’m surprised that people are even saying anything to you guys. I suppose I’m not surprised that people would think it was strange (although I don’t think it is) but I think it’s pretty rude for anyone to comment on it. It’s your wedding, you can have it whenever you want!

Post # 8
1757 posts
Buzzing bee

@danadelphia – I’ve had enough people ask about it that I can spit out my entire explanation in one breath. It’s understandable – I realize our date is an unusual one. 

Post # 9
562 posts
Busy bee

I just smile and tell them it was a tragedy that occurred 9 years ago but we wanted to change the meaning of the date for us.  Oh and like Miss Tulip said…12/7 is Pearl Harbor day and no one says anything about that!  

@dana: our priest even made a remark about it to us…our priest!!!  So yah, people will comment.

Post # 10
369 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Why do people work to keep a negative connotation? I don’t understand that. I agree that you should work to make it a beautiful day for you and yours!

The topic ‘09/11/10 …How do you deal with the comments on “your” day?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors