1.2 ct diamond or 2 ct moissy for engagement ring? What would you do?

posted 4 months ago in Rings
  • poll: Would you go with 1.2 ct diamond or 2 ct moissy for ERing?

Diamond

Moissy

Other - please explain!

• Post # 31
    1603 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @citizenerased14:  It’s a comparison thread. Most people do find moissanite inferior to diamond, as the price reflects. That moissanite, like CZ, sometimes looks or feels like “costume jewelry” or “travel jewelry” is a common complaint.

Post # 32
    1031 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2019

Deleted 🙂

Post # 33
    9 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2003

I really tried to love my moissy engagement ring. But I didn’t. I could not get over the mind clean thing. I could not get over the fact that moissanite is not a precious gem, or even a SEMI precious gem. It doesn’t look like a diamond. It doesn’t behave like a diamond. And I got questioned on it all the time because the fire it emits is ridiculous and people knew it wasn’t a diamond. I wasted a lot of money on that ring. I’ve now just ordered a diamond lol. If you even THINK you want a diamond, get a diamond. Nothing else is going to make you happy.

Post # 34
    139 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2020 - SF, CA

View original reply
    @loveinsf:  Personally, I would take the diamond. Nothing against moissy, but 1.2ct is a perfectly respectable diamond size so I wouldn’t consider going an alternate route. I also tend to like more modest stone sizes (but that is an entirely personal preference)

Post # 35
    22 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I picked diamond because I find that people who are looking for “cheap bling” dont tend to keep their moissys for long. There is definitely truth to the phrase “mind-clean”. 

If you get a moissanite, get it because you appreciate the gem for itself, not as a diamond alternative/ simulant/ whatever. I have a diamond ring and 2 moissy rings, I prefer the rainbows that I can see in the moissanite so I have retired my diamond ring for the moment.

My moissys are a 1 carat solitaire that I wear as my engagement ring and a 2 carat solitaire that I always wear as a RHR on nights out. The 2 carat is just too big for me to wear daily. I see a big difference between how they both behave and can see how the bigger stones are even less “diamond-like” than the smaller stones. 

Post # 36
    8 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    @rainrocksandroses:  Hey RR&R, can I ask what size finger you rock your moissys on?

Post # 37
    22 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    @robbyj:  I’m size 8.5-9 (UK size R – I’m a UK bee)

Post # 38
    639 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2019

When I first got my moissy I was a little disappointed that it was SO diamond-like. It does not light up like a Christmas tree all the time. It’s an OEC, 2.3 dew hexagon and really catches the light in candlelight, or dim lighting as OECs were designed to do. 

I also have diamonds, so I bought my moissy to be a moissy not a diamond stand in. I think that makes all the difference in the world on being happy with them. 

Post # 39
    3322 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2017

View original reply
    @westtexasrev1:  I’ve seen your moissanite ring.  It’s unusual, very pretty. I love the stack you wear with it too! I don’t think you have to worry that it will be mistaken for a diamond though.  I understand your disappointment that it is not as colorful as you were hoping, that’s likely because it’s an oec cut moissanite not a round brilliant moissanite.

Post a pic here with your moissanite and diamond side by side and see how the cut impacts. 

Post # 40
    145 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2017 - Central Park

I bought a moissanite wedding ring and returned it for a gemstone wedding ring because I love the idea of a mined stone. The fact that moissanite is lab grown REALLY bothered me. Some people don’t mind and that’s totally fine, but if you think you’ll feel upset that it’s not a diamond- then get a diamond. If you’re worried about budget and like bigger sized stones, gemstone rings are an amazing alternative and pack a punch with color while still being mined. Sapphire rings are great options because they’re sturdy and come in many colors.

Post # 41
    492 posts
    Helper bee

I would choose the moissy but I don’t have any particular preference of whether or not it’s a diamond. For me the qualities I want – a colorless stone so it matches everything, a durable stone so I can wear it daily – are inherent to both moissy and diamond, so I’d go with the one that better matches the size and budget I want.

That being said, if you care about whether or not it’s a diamond, you will probably regret the moissy down the line. Wanting the sentimental idea of a diamond is completely valid, and should be something you consider in your decision. You should listen to your heart.

Post # 42
    288 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @mrstodd2bee:  she didn’t say that she’s worried about people thinking her OEC is a diamond…

It is possible to be disappointed in the behaviour of a gem simply because you expected something different, and not because you’re worried about other people’s opinions regarding it. We don’t all base our jewellery purchasing decisions on possible external perceptions. 

OP, I echo the sentiments of others. If you’re worried about the mind-clean aspect, you’re best to go with the diamond. Only get a moissanite if you want a moissanite. They may have been developed as simulants, but it’s clear to both Team Diamond and Team Moissanite that a diamond will never perform the same as a moissanite (and vice versa). Do I think that most people in the real world will even notice your ring (let alone have the time and desire to analyze it)? Nope. You will, though. Even though the vast majority wouldn’t notice the differences, you will. You seem aware that it’s not the diamond you want. Get the gorgeous stone you desire! If you still have the moissanite itch, there are plenty of opportunities for right hand rings!

Post # 43
    1603 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @carowl:  I got the impression that @mrstodd2bee‘s response to @westtexasrev1‘s comment, was not a misinterpretation, but more to the effect of: while the ring didn’t perform as expected, it doesn’t look at all like a diamond and certainly wouldn’t be mistaken for one.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors