1.27 Tiffany vs 1.7 James Allen

posted 1 month ago in Rings
Post # 2
8258 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I mean, for $20k you could get a 2.1ct ACA from whiteflash, which would outsparkle a tiffanys even if it were covered in mud. So I’d rather get a better cut, larger diamond vs a brand name. 

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4226226.htm

Obviously you’ll need to account for the setting, but you could still get a much larger SPARKLIER diamond with a gorgeous setting for whatever you’ll pay at tiffanys. 

With your budget, I would consider JA, but also consider some of these premium brands. 

Post # 3
629 posts
Busy bee

Do you have the lab reports of the diamonds in question? Tiffany diamonds are graded in house and should have a Tiffany report.  You’ll have to ask James Allen for a copy of the GIA report for the 1.7ct since they no longer provide them with their listings.  There is a large premium for the Tiffany brand, which some people don’t mind paying, but you can absolutely get a much better diamond more reasonably priced elsewhere.  You need to check the angles and information on the lab reports. Personally The Tiffany name isn’t worth it to me since the name alone does not guarantee the best diamond.  GL

Post # 4
1405 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

I would 100% take size/quality over a brand name. 

Post # 7
8258 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Go hit up pricescope forum rockytalky. Post your budget and a pic of the setting. They will be able to find you literally THE BEST diamond and setting. Just make sure to include if you have any setting preferences (ie do you only want eye clean or do you want VVS, do you mind a bit of tint like a J or want icy white DEF).

Post # 8
420 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@nodeulee:  quality over brand – but if I really wanted brand I would look second hand. Alternatively you could buy a second hand Tiffany setting and source a great quality diamond.

check this out : 1.5 t Tiffany ring for $17.5k CAD. (Maybe snap it up if you can… they have a great return policy) 

https://100ways.com/products/tiffany-co-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-1-50-ct-sz-6?_pos=40&_sid=a20dd6cfe&_ss=r

Post # 9
96 posts
Worker bee

I second the Whiteflash recommendation. If you are open to non Tiffany you literally can’t go wrong with the place that does truly perfect cuts. And with diamonds cut is EVERYTHING. 

Post # 12
544 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

View original reply
@jellybellynelly:  Agreed! I went with blue nile, because at the time knew nothing much about cut etc. But if I could do it over I would go with Whiteflash and get the Vatche U-113 setting which is I think the closest looking to the classic Tiffany (according to pricescope haha)

Post # 13
544 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

View original reply
@j3n12345:  That is beautiful, but looks horribly cut TBH. It’s also concerning that the colour says H/I… I would hope if it didn’t have the tiffany paperwork, they’d at least send it away to GIA

Post # 14
13606 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I don’t see any added value in the Tiffany’s name at all, certainly not for the premiums they charge for overhead and advertising. Frankly, I think it’s a rip off. If you do some research on your own, you can get any  lot more for your money for comparable specs. 

Post # 16
301 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@nodeulee:  you can get the exact same quality and James allen or tiffany. The exact same diamond will be more expensive at tiffany than at james allen..period. 

You are not paying for a better quality (assuming you are looking at comparable diamonds) at tiffany, but are paying for a brand name.

And that’s ok if that’s what you want! People carry brand name purses and wear brand name clothing.

If getting a tiffany diamond is important to you, then get the tiffany diamond. Simple as that. You won’t be happy with the James allen diamond if you want a tiffany one.  If the brand doesn’t matter, then go for the James allen. No reason to overpay for the same quality diamond if you don’t care about the brand name. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors