1.27 Tiffany vs 1.7 James Allen

posted 1 month ago in Rings
Post # 47
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2006 - Charleston, SC

In My Humble Opinion, cut is everything and although brand is a personal choice, it is abosolutely inconsequential to the beauty of the diamond. There are very well established parameters/specifications to stay within to get the maximum sparkle (less than 0.1% of diamonds are cut for optimal brilliance).

It took us a long time to find my diamond because of our narrow cut criteria, and it is beautiful in every light (except direct sunlight). I am posting a photo I just ook of my ring for this post–under dim room lighting and absolutely covered in soap scum and lotion (I almost never take my rings off), and the brilliance still comes through only because of the cut.

This is an exciting and overhelmping process, remember to have fun and do not rush the decision.

P.S. For the best cut quality, only consider GIA and AGS graded diamonds within the ideal specifications. I am biased but I also recommend WF or JA!

Post # 48
566 posts
Busy bee

Whiteflash!!

View original reply
@elsa2006:  omg your ring is beautiful! If you don’t mind,  please share specs 😍

Post # 49
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2006 - Charleston, SC

View original reply
@juliensmommy: Thank you. I can certainly share the specs: D, 3.11 ct, VS1, super ideal cut, size 3.5 ring finger. Pretty certain we would have paid more than 2x the price at Tiffany’s for the very same diamond.

The point I was trying to illustrate is that, as other posters have emphasized, there is no such thing as a “Tiffany” diamond, although the Tiffany 6-prong setting is proprietary (but widely replicated). Ultimately, you should choose what you love but please take the time to make an informed decision as this is meant to be a once in a lifetime event in your life. 

The One Minute Diamond Buying Guide by Nice Ice is a good starting place to understand the specs for outstanding sparkle.

P.S. My husband proposed with a placeholder ring, knowing how important light performance was to me. It took 2 years to find my diamond, ie I wore only my wedding band in the meantime. 

Post # 50
2021 posts
Buzzing bee

It really comes down to your priority. If the brand is more important than the size of the diamond, then for sure get Tiffany. If the brand is super important then you probably won’t be happy with anything else.

If size is more important, then get a larger JA diamond.

Neither option is wrong. But if you can’t have both, then pick the option that is more important to you

Post # 51
740 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2020

I know Tiffany always gets negative reactions because it’s a rip off, there are better diamonds out there, there are so many replicas of the Tiffany setting anyway, etc., but I have a Tiffany engagement ring and I love it.  Could I have gotten a bigger or better diamond for less money somewhere else?  Yes, I’m sure of it.  But I have always loved the brand and going to Tiffany (only about 10 minutes from my house, which is also very convenient), has always been a magical experience for me.  I know it’s illogical, but I wanted the real iconic ring instead of a replica.  I get the feeling you’re also a Tiffany girl and would be very happy to own a Tiffany ring.  Plus, you could always upgrade through them in the future.  Congrats on the upcoming engagement!

Post # 52
42 posts
Newbee

From what you have writen, it really does seem like you would value the larger and higher quality ring regardless of it being Tiffany or not. 

I would personally opt for the James Allen ring with the GIA Cert with the larger stone, but if your FH is willing to splurge on getting you the Tiffany ring and you’re going to be happy, go for it! 

Post # 53
4216 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2016 - Manhattan, NY

View original reply
@maybemena:  While I’m a fan of Tiffany jewelry, I would get a better diamond for my money, which will likely be the James Allen option since they just don’t have the same mark up as Tiffany. Especially if it’s a style that other jewelers do just as well. I know it’s not a ring example, but I love the Tiffany DBTY collection and bought a 5 stone diamond station bracelet with bigger diamonds than Tiffany offers for something like 1/3 of the Tiffany price, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Unless it would absolutely make your heart sing to have a Tiffany engagement ring on your finger, I would go with the better deal. 

Post # 54
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2019

Probably going to get some hate, but my opinion is go for the Tiffany. Yes, the brand name is probably not worth the extra $$, but he is comfortably looking at these prices, then my job is not to convince you or him to not buy brand name. 

In my opinion, I don’t trust James Allen to have the quality, the finish, the exact knife edge, or the small details I want. I love the ways the Tiffany setting’s prongs look exactly, from the way each individual prong is indebted to the top, rounded polish. I would have a hard time putting on a copycat version unless it was actually 99% the way I liked it. 

Post # 55
28 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: Broadmoor Hotel

I’m biased, because I have Tiffany’s in the same style you’re looking at. If the blue box is important to you, then I would go Tiffany’s. Mine is 3.10 carats, D color, flawless. I know he could have gotten a bigger diamond elsewhere for the price (ohhhhh the price!! I about fainted when the SA told us what it cost!), but having Tiffany’s was important to him, so it became important to me too.

That said, no one will know it’s Tiffany’s unless you tell them.

I know a lot of people here don’t like Tiffany’s, but you should go with what you really want. Is having the brand name important to you? The Tiffany’s experience was one I won’t forget. In my view (and my husband’s), it’s a classic. I doubt you could go wrong any way you choose. Good luck, and post pics when you get engaged! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors