1.31 c diamond on 5mm band

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
139 posts
Blushing bee

parig :  I’m not quite a size 6 finger, but my center stone and band width of my set are similar to what you are looking for, so hopefully these pics help you somewhat. 

I’m a 4.5, but we sized my rings up to a 4.75. The center stone is 1.38ct and with both my e-ring and wedding band on, the total band width is 6mm. With both rings on, the diamond doesn’t look any smaller, since the pavé diamonds in the bands help give the set some extra bling and make the stone stand out more in real life. 

The last photo on the bottom is the set before it was resized. It was originally a size 7-8 before we had it resized.

Post # 6
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

I have a 1.26 G xxx vs2.  My band is a liitle thick.  Its prob around 2.75mm. Im a size 5 1/2

Post # 8
350 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

That does seem like an unusually wide band. It would look like this – band almost as wide as the diamond. I mainly see that look for tension settings, where they have to be wide (for structural reasons) – it’s often considered a more masculine look.

I think a wide wedding band can look really cool (especially if it has some detail on it), but if you’re not totally confident in your taste you may want to rethink a 5mm e-ring because it’s a very unusual look.

Unless you’re talking about the total width of both e-ring + w-band like @palmbeachprincess showed. In that case 5mm is pretty normal/typical (like if each one is around 2.5mm on its own) and won’t make your diamond look smaller.

Do you have a picture of the setting style you’re considering?

Post # 10
193 posts
Blushing bee

For a few reasons, I would not look for a band that wide. I think the band width should be proportional to your finger. As a size 6, you have average width fingers (I think), not sure how long or short they are. Also, think about your wedding ring. If not matching, you will probably want your rings to be complimentary, and I do not recommend two 4.5 mm bands on the finger. That said there is another bee on here with a thicker band white gold engagement ring that looks beautiful – her username is escaping me, but maybe she will comment.

What didn’t you like about 2.5 mm? There are a lot of ways to make a ring look different than changing the band size (side stones, etc.)

Post # 11
1080 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I apologize for the extremely large photo but here is a 1.25 carat on a size 4.5 finger. This was an inherited piece that I wanted to wear but just hated the wide band, for me it took up too much space because I have short finger. I think if you have longer finger it could work much better but the diamond will appear smaller. 

Here is the reset into a band half the size a 2.5mm wide and it made such a big difference 

If you do love the wide band look I came across a picture on Instagram of an elongated diamond set into an extremely wide band but  the band was designed to imitate 5 stacked rings, that way it looked liked she was wearing multiple rings but it was just one solid gold band. She had long slim fingers so the design looked well on her hand. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors