1.5 carat in a Halo, or upgrade to a 2 carat solitaire?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
98 posts
Worker bee

berryfairy :  Go big! 2ct center would look fab….not ridiculous regardless of your size! smile

Post # 4
1702 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

What ring size are you currently? You should get sized so you can check out finger coverage and proportions. 

Post # 5
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

I’m 5’2″ (5’3″ on a good day), and about 120lbs, so close to your size. This ring is a size 5, but my actual finger size fluctuates from 4-5, depending on the day. It’s a 1.5 Emerald cut center, in James Allen’s octagon halo. This is a LOT of finger coverage, but I think it’s perfect – I never wonder if my ring looks small, and in my area, there are plenty of women with rings larger than mine, too.

Post # 6
489 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2003

I had a 1.31 carat in a halo and upgraded to a 2.01 in a solitaire.  It really comes down to what overall look do you want?  My halo got a LOT of attention because it was so much beautiful bling and not everyone has seen a halo.  My 2 carat solitaire gets looks but not comments (which is fine!   IRL comments made me uncomfortable anyway!)  and I chalk it up to the solitaire setting that it’s in right now.   I currently wear a 1 carat eternity band with my 2 carat solitaire so it’s a blingy look as well!  What I like about my solitiare over the halo is I alternate between a plain band and my eternity band.  To me, the solitaire is a classic look that will never look dated and it really highlights the center diamond.  Good luck!  Either look will be beautiful!

My old 1.31 carat in halo. My new set 🙂

Post # 7
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m 5″ 115 lbs ring size 4 I have a 1.08 round center in a cushion double halo about 3ct total.. I think it would look amazing whatever you choose, I guess it depends on what type of coverage your looking for..

Post # 8
98 posts
Worker bee

berryfairy :  I’m not a huge fan of halos, my choice is either plain band or some sidestones/pave. Below is my 2.04ct cushion on platinmum band before I reset it…JA_Solitaire

This is what it looks like with the reset…

JAsidestone

Post # 9
6276 posts
Bee Keeper

2 ct solitaire 

Post # 11
990 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

I am a size 5 finger 5’1 I am 145 and my ring is a good amount of finger coverage it is 1.70 ctw with a elongated cushion brilliant in a halo .. I hope this helps and you find a style you like ! Good luck 👍🏻🍀 

Post # 12
489 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2003

ringobsessed5 :  Thank you! My finger size is a 5.75 but my rings are a 6, for swelling on hot days. 

Post # 14
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

berryfairy :  I have yet to loose a stone ..I wear mine everyday except when I’m cooking or showering..

Post # 15
2925 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

berryfairy :  I got my original ring (a halo) in September and got my replacement last month and I haven’t lost any stones.  I wear my replacement ring nearly 24/7 since I lost my original ring.

I am a loose size 6 and I thought the perfect size for me was a 1.5 ct (7mm) with a halo.  But my Fiance bought me a 1.83 and it was low set in a halo (and the halo diamonds were on the larger size) and I felt like it was a bit big.  My replacement diamond is 1.93 but it has a very small halo (like Tacori’s “bloom” halo) and it doesn’t seem as big as my previous ring.  

What about going halfway – like 1.75ct with a halo?

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors