(Closed) 1.5 Carat Moissanite-Is It Questionable?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 76
384 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
mrstodd2bee :  I consider your fascination with moissanite threads and your ready to be copy and pasted responses to everyone’s thoughts “strange” as well, but oh well!

I think it depends on the cut, but for the most part I don’t think people notice or can tell. Think about how many thousands of people have moissanite- have you ever noticed it on a stranger’s hand? We’ve probably seen so many out and about and not realized it. I know some people will say you can see double refraction or a splintery cut- the first can’t be seen and the latter is true for certain cuts only. In pictures it can be more obvious, but in person, not so much. My mom has a diamond of similar size to my H&A moissanite and I get to compare them easily, so it’s cool to see the similarity.

Post # 77
476 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
mrstodd2bee :  I have to back mrstodd2bee on this one.

I have a large moissanite, 8mm C&C Forever Brilliant. And it’s GORGEOUS and I LOVE it.

I’ve only been wearing it a few days and no one has questioned it, maybe because they don’t notice or maybe because it’s rude to do so. That doesn’t mean people haven’t noticed at all, though. It just means nothing has been said to me or my Fiance.

I know it’s a moissanite and it doesn’t behave like a diamond. And that’s *okay* It’s flashier (for lack of a better word) than a diamond of a similar size and, in some lighting, it pulls yellow/green. I love these things about my stone, but they are not characteristic of diamonds and giveaway that my stone is not diamond.

If someone is looking to pass a larger moissanite as a diamond, I feel they might have a hard time doing so because they aren’t the same stone and behave in a different manner.

I love my moissanite, I love it’s moodiness, I love the sparkles, but BEST of all, I love it because it was a thoughtful gift from my Fiance and a symbol that we are moving toward a future together. That’s all that matters. If you are worried about someone clocking your moissanite as not a diamond, go for a smaller diamond within your budget. If you like moissanite and the way it behaves, go for the moissanite. At the end of the day, the ring won’t make or break your marriage. It’s just something pretty to look at ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 78
384 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
mrsbarack :  Forever Brilliant is an older moissanite, so for that one there are visible differences in behaviour. Beautiful in its own right, but in your case I’ll agree and say that it doesn’t look diamond like. I guess my point was that with the way they’re made now it’s pretty hard to tell. Regardless any pretty engagement ring is a bonus on top of someone proposing marriage. I think we all agree on that ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 79
1168 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

I have a 2 carat equivalent NEO cushion (for 6.5 finger), they don’t face up as large stones, they have large bottoms ๐Ÿ˜€
I’ve been engaged for a year nobody has ever asked if it is “real” (what kind of question is that anyway? Yes, it’s a real ring and a real gemstone – whether it be a CZ, a moissy, a saphire, a diamond, a morganite, etc.) If anyone did ask me that question, i would tell them “Hell yes! It’s a real moissy”
But in all seriousness… I do get a lot of compliments. If anyone comments on my rings and starts a conversation about them, then I’ll share where the diamonds are vs. the moissanites, and a bunch of ladies have actually said they wished they had known about moissy. I have no regrets and honestly, I totally don’t care what others think, it makes me happy and that’s all that counts. Nobody should judge anyone on something as subjective as taste, and if they do maybe that relationship should be questionned and not your decision as to what ering is right for YOU… Good luck to you, I really hope that whatever you decide will make you very happy. 
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 4.39.15 PM

Post # 80
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I have a 1.5 carat forever one moissanite (hearts and arrows cut) rose gold and have been wearing it for 6 months. Not a single person has asked if it is a diamond. My close family knows it’s a moissanite, and if someone specifically asked I would be honest but otherwise I don’t shout it to the world. My band is (9) 3.5mm forever one moissanites was well. 

I personally don’t think it’s anyones business if you don’t want it to be. I chose moissy because I love the extra sparkle and clarity, not just because of the cheaper price tag (although I’m sure he appreciates the choice haha) 

Andfor the people who know it’s a moissy, they all think it’s fabulous and makes sooo much sense. A few have asked where to get one so they can “upgrade” their rings to a larger moissy. 

Post # 81
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I have both a diamond and a moissy. I started with a 1.00ct moissanite , now I’m on a 2.5 cushion and no one has ever done anything but compliment me on it. So 1.5ct should be fine

Post # 82
196 posts
Blushing bee

I actually just went shopping with my fiancé this weekend to look at “upgrades” for the future. I currently have a 1.62 carat G VS1 diamond with a triple EX rating (just for reference to give a base for my comparisons). 

To both of us, the difference between a moissanite and a diamond is pretty obvious. The refraction of the moissanite is just very different from a diamond. Too much green, blue, and red reflections. Also, a white sapphire just doesn’t have the same fire. I was honestly open to “upgrading” to a 2.5 carat moissy, UNTIL I saw that it’s just not the same. 

I think the biggest thing is the carat size. A 1 carat moissanite will be a lot less obvious than a 3 carat moissanite. The bigger the stone, the bigger the difference. 

Agree with bees here that most people won’t openly accuse you of not having a real diamond, but there are also a lot of things to consider:

a) most people don’t want to be perceived as rude, so even if people don’t openly say it, they will think it  if that bothers you, then go with what you would feel most comfortable with  

b) agree with someone previously who said if you can actually afford such a stone in diamond form – aka, if you are renting a place that’s not in a super hot real estate market, then presumably spending $100k on a “diamond” seems a bit out of reach…

Post # 83
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2018

View original reply
lovelylovelylife :  Hi I think you should pick what you like,if not you might end up regretting that you didn’t. I told my  fiancé that I wanted a 2ct, but he surprised me with a 3ct  instead which I feel in love with ๐Ÿ˜. 

Post # 84
635 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

I’ve had exactly 0 people question whether it’s a diamond. I have had comments about how beautiful it is. We could have bought the same size in diamond we just chose not to. I have had someone put up her CZ next to mine and say “you can tell hers is real because it sparkles way more.” She was really interested in learning more about moissanite after I told her it wasn’t a diamond. I had another friend who was very skeptical about it before I got it tell me she really couldn’t tell after all once she saw it. My mom has a really good quality diamond and had put mine on her hand while I was wakeboarding and said she enjoyed it and felt like they sparkles about the same (hers is a round). You’ve got nothing to worry about. Just go for it, get the 1.5 if it’s what you want, I couldn’t be happier with mine. 

Post # 85
122 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

View original reply
lovelylovelylife :  I told close family it’s moisinatte and other diamond. 

Post # 86
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2020

View original reply
SVandy60918 :  thank you for your comment. I was going to get a Morganite engagement ring exactly like this one:

https://samnsue.com/engagement/cushion-morganite-11×9-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-drenched-under-basket-rose-gold-2655rmo

But then i found out this company is starting to make the same ring with a moissanite colorless and now I’m torn. This is the video  of the same ring with a radiant  cut moissanite, i think it is stunning and will be even more amazing with a cushion cut, what do you think:

https://instagram.com/p/BjK7P7YgdqS/

Post # 87
352 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2006

View original reply
mstattoolady :  haha i was reading your comment and i was loving it. “The average hoe”, haha. This auto correct thing is a pain. lol

Post # 88
352 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2006

View original reply
lovelylovelylife :  Personally i wouldnt lie able the stone, its a beautiful stone. Like most have said, ppl in real life wont stop and inspect your ring. I see a shiny ring and my eyes go surprised , i admire and then move on w my day. If you and your guy flat out do not want to disclose its a moissanite, then thats your problem and your right. Here is an idea, why not tell who ever is nosy enough to ask if its a diamond, that….. the main stone was his great great great grandmothers. Family hairloom, blame it on who ever is dead, either your side of the family or his. unless you surround yourself with nothing but rude and nose ppl, i doubt anyone will ever flat out question your stone. Either, enjoy the ring when you get it. 

Post # 89
1396 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I have a 1 carat round moissanite and although I share openly that it is a moissy, no one has ever asked me what it was, they just tell me how lovely it is.  I actually had a really funny experience while shopping for wedding bands; I was at a major jewelery store and one of the jewelers asked if she could look at my Engagement Ring under her scope as she thought it was reallhy pretty.  She looked and said “wow, this is a truly flawless diamond!”  I didn’t want to embarrass her in her own store, but I did think it was funny that she couldn’t tell!  

Post # 90
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2019 - City, State

OP, your specs are so similar to mine! I wear a size 5.75 ring, have fairly long fingers, and have a Forever One moissanite that’s 1.5 carats (there is a halo though). I don’t go out of my way to comment on the specs of other people’s rings. I tell them how beautiful it is and no other details are necessary. I am happy I went the non-diamond route and if anyone were to ask (for some reason) what the stone is, I wouldn’t lie. I’m all for promoting moissanites and other gem stones.

The topic ‘1.5 Carat Moissanite-Is It Questionable?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors