(Closed) 1.5 carat or 2 carat diamond? (Poll)

posted 4 years ago in Rings
  • poll: What carat size should I get?

1.5 carat solitaire

2 carat solitaire

Neither!

• Post # 2
    275 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    livkb :  You might have better luck getting an idea of what you want if you try to get pictures with a specific ring size. A 2 carat on a size 2.5 finger is going to look much different than a 2 carat on a size 8. smile  See some size comparison pictures here: https://2caratsoflove.com/tag/fingersize/ 

Post # 3
    329 posts
    Helper bee

There really isn’t much noticeable difference IMO between those two sizes so you might as well go for the 2ct.

Post # 4
    226 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Here’s my 2ct. I love it don’t get me wrong but it is on the larger size of my comfort zone. I have a size 5 finger. It depends on the company, out for dinner and that sort of thing it’s the perfect size. At the supermarket paying for a loaf of bread with it flashing around people do stare and sometimes that makes me feel uncomfortable and I try to hide it. I’d be terrible with anything bigger! I was at the Chriopractor the other day and he made a joke about my ‘rock’ and was it a CZ. I said no but 2ct can get comments just FYI. 1.5 is a nice size. Still eye catching. It depends on your finger size and your personality. If you have small fingers I’d say 1.5. If you have large fingers 2ct.

Post # 5
    184 posts
    Blushing bee

Hehe I’ve been trying to decide the same!! I have a 1.5 Ct moissanite already, though it’s fancy grey not white. So I could wear it paired with a 5 stone and not have to buy a larger stone. However I’m also toying with getting a 1.5 diamond solitaire…I’m seriously obsessed with all things sparkly. I have like 4 different style rings from berricle so I could narrow down what I wanted for a right hand ring…but I love them all! 

I tried both a 1.5 solitaire and a 2.0. I loved the 2.0 size but the diamond itself was $16,000!! I’d never buy a diamond from a box store now that I’ve been educated on the bee! As far as size, the 1.5 wasn’t significantly smaller.

Post # 6
    264 posts
    Helper bee

It depends on your ring size! Here’s my 1.5 carat on size 6.25.

Post # 7
    1709 posts
    Bumble bee

Here is my new ring:  1.51 carat diamond on size 4 finger.  Specs are VS1, J color, Triple XXX.  Love the size!  My jeweler customized a simple, low-set platinum band for it so that it’s comfy and I can wear it all the time.

Post # 8
    200 posts
    Helper bee

IMO, I personally like 1.5 on a size 5-6 finger but I think it depends on your personality. I don’t like getting comments like “Oh WOW YOUR RING!” or having people want to see it.

If you want to show it off, then go with the 2. If you feel self conscious, go with the 1.5.

Post # 9
    2027 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

You could always get something in the middle as well, like 1.7 ct!

Post # 10
    477 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

View original reply
    ellyd23 :  that’s what I did as a compromise, though I haven’t seen it yet. 

View original reply
    livkb :  even if you aren’t going to get it from them you should go to a Tiffany store. They had a much wider range of diamond sizes in stock, including many increments between 1.5 and 2. At other stores they just gave us samples in each half size. 

Post # 11
    1198 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

it really depends on what cut you want too. the surface area you would get from a 2/1.5 carat round vs a 2/1.5 carat emerald cut (for example) is super different. with an emerald cut i think you could go bigger without many people commenting on it. 

Post # 12
    1599 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    livkb :  Depends on your finger size and whether you are going for a round brilliant? I have a 1.5 Amora gem ultra and have a 8.75 finger, I find the size great for every day wear where it’s a lush size but not too big. Though personally I would also enjoy a 2 as well. However, if you have say a size 3 fingers then they will look very different. 

Post # 13
    2344 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I voted 2 carat for what it’s worth, but it really is personal preference as to what looks good on you, to you. 

My 2 carat on my 3.5 finger never looks too big to me, and apart from when I first got engaged, it doesn’t attract a lot of attention. My setting is a very low cathedral setting though, I have seen high-set 2 carats that look “too much” for me, I’m not referring to the Tiffany but a high, bulky cathedral setting favoured by a local jeweller. The classic Tiffany setting does present the full profile of the stone in that “V” shape very prominently, so a 2 carat will look quite sticky-out from most angles. I’d try on, ask an assistant to try it on ask her to close and open the display so you can see her hands moving, – before making your choice. 

Post # 14
    288 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

It really depends on you. Have you tried both sizes on your finger? If you have the budget for a high grade, well cut 2 carat stone, I’d get it, personally. DSS will set in eventually.

If you don’t have the budget, or you’d be stretching it, and sacrificing cut in order to get that 2 carat, I’d stick with the 1.5 and keep with a great cut. 

An excellent cut and proportioned 1.5 is going to look better than a lower cut 2. Plus, there’s not much noticeable size difference between the two, if they both have similar cut proportions and dimensions. 

Post # 15
    1939 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

Not that much difference between a 1.5 and a 2 and neither size stone is gonna elicit crazy attention or “danger” to wear out and about on a day to day basis plus as you want to keep it as a simple solitaire it’s going to be fine no matter so pick whatever you prefer, it’s not like this is about a 2 carat vs a crazy rock of 6-10 carats with double halos. 

The topic ‘1.5 carat or 2 carat diamond? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors