(Closed) 1.5 carat or 2 carat diamond? (Poll)

posted 3 years ago in Rings
  • poll: What carat size should I get?
    1.5 carat solitaire : (40 votes)
    35 %
    2 carat solitaire : (71 votes)
    62 %
    Neither! : (3 votes)
    3 %
  • Post # 16
    18 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    livkb :  I voted for 1.5 only if you are not sacrifying quality. For me  cut, color and clarity are more important that .5 extra size, there is no much difference between the two . If you could get a better diamond quality in a 1.5 than a 2.0 carat, I would suggest to do that:)

good luck!!!

Post # 17
    1201 posts
    Bumble bee

2! A single solitaire is so beautiful xo

Post # 18
    1702 posts
    Bumble bee

I think it depends on the specs and measurements. Depending on the face up size, I might go for the 1.5 carat from a cost standpoint. If the 1.5 faces up as 1.5 and the 2 faces up as 2, I would go for the 2. If the 1.5 faces up like a 1.8 and the 2 faces up as a 2, I would go for the 1.5.

Post # 19
    229 posts
    Helper bee

I have a 2ct on a size 5 finger and I LOVE IT. But I’m kind of a shameless diamond snob haha, no diamond is too big in my opinion. The fit and comfort is all about the cut and setting….just being honest. However, I tried on plenty of 1.5’s too and there really wasn’t a huge difference, especially if your fingers are small.

If you really can’t decide, then why not save some $$$ and go with the 1.5? My Fiance (now husband) surprised me with the 2, but I would have been just as thrilled with a 1.5…

Post # 20
    1635 posts
    Bumble bee

It’s so individual.  I am a size 5 to 5 1/4, and a 2 is just way too big on me.  Even my 1.5’s are sometimes a bit much.  So hard to find moissy in 1.3 or 1.2 ish, so I didn’t have much choice there. 

Other gals though, might see a 2 on me and love it.  So it’s really what you like!

Post # 21
    1635 posts
    Bumble bee

It’s so individual.  I am a size 5 to 5 1/4, and a 2 is just way too big on me.  Even my 1.5’s are sometimes a bit much.  So hard to find moissy in 1.3 or 1.2 ish, so I didn’t have much choice there when I was shopping.  If you can try on all the sizes in between a 1.5 and 2 you might find the sweet spot.

Other gals though, might see a 2 on me and love it.  So it’s really what you like!

Post # 22
    1413 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

So I have really big hands. I could easily wear a 3 carat solitaire and it would look normal LOL. With that said, I would always go for the bigger stone IF and only if the quality was comparable. Of course there is always a little give and take if money IS an option (it is for me). I am inching my way up. I had .75 carat (I think I don’t remember) went to a .96 carat to a 1.37 carat round which had a little color and very very Small inclusion but the color did bother me a little. I loved my 1.36 which spread more like a 1.5 I felt pigeon holed into pairing it with yellow gold to mask the the color. I recently went to a 1.50 marquise, much better color H or I I believe same clarity. But you know what if I had a 2.0 any cut LOL or larger solitaire, I would be very happy. I mean especially if this will be your forever stone or at least one you will have for a very long time, personally I would go for the larger 2 carat. I think some women prefer smaller or more proportionate size carats to finger which it perfectly fine. Me, I want big. I would love an opportunity for a 2 carat even if I had a 3.5 finger I would still go for the 2 carat… but that’s me. The other gals are right a two carat will look different on a 7 or 8 size finger versus a size 4 finger. Not to mention the cut will play a huge role in it as well, It may show bigger or smaller than someone else’s 2 carat. Just all depends. Like I said I just moved to a marquise which is something totally foreign to me. I am totally obsessed with it, now. But it took me referring to this site and doing research for me to move forward, so I know the feeling. Just as a reference and an excuse for me show my ring LOL, here is mine below which is a 1.50 carat marquise on a 7.25 man hand LOL I show this because it can show you how different a round vs a different shape can make, there is a gal on this site who posts her 1.50 carat marquise on a much smaller hand and it looks huge and another gal with the same size hand and carat as mine and hers looks bigger to me than mine, just a different cut. I wanted more pointy some want more round. It is all personal preference. BUT if I was YOU (totally opinionated statement here lol) I would definitely go for the 2 carat… bigger the better ha ha. Good luck I hope you post pics. I will follow and be a little stalker hoping for an update.  which ever one you chose will be wonderful. 1.5 or a 2 are both great sizes big difference in price though I assume. grrr. Good luck. <3 I also posted a pic of my 1.37 carat that I had before the marquise. Sometimes I feel it looked bigger than my marquise. It was a beautiful stone too. Hope all this makes sense and perhaps even helps a little.

Post # 23
    1088 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

My center diamond is 1.12 ct. The halo around it makes it look much bigger. I get a lot of compliments on it all the time. Sometimes while getting hit on, I tell the guy, “sorry, I’m engaged.” And then flashed my left hand at him. It usually ends in a, “whoa! Byeee.” lol

*My ring size is 5.75.

FullSizeRender(1)

Post # 24
    356 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

Left is 1.5 and right is 2ct. These are little Czs I bought for size. Very small difference. However I went last week to see a 2ct diamond and when I tried it on it was way too huge. It seemed a lot bigger than the 2ct cz I bought. I’m going 1.5 and wondering if that’s too big. 

Post # 25
    274 posts
    Helper bee

On which stone size can you afford a better cut? I think that a well cut 1.5 always looks bigger than a dull 2 carat. Also, definitely try them on. I thought I wanted around a 1.5 carat, but when I tried one on I decided I wanted something much much smaller on my size 5/5.5 hand! 

Post # 26
    425 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    livkb :  I would go for the best cut (since that will allow it to sparkle more) and then look at what carat size you can afford.

You might also find this estimation of finger coverage using carat weight and finger size helpful as you’re looking at rings. 

Keep in mind that there are other factors, like finger length that can come into play too in determining how a certain stone will look on your finger. You can use http://www.diamdb.com/ to compare how two stones may look as well.

Post # 27
    1709 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2016 - Garden

Honestly from my experience both are too big. I have a .5 princess cut halo and it’s just right! I thought I wanted a 1 carat. I’m glad I didn’t go that route. Because I tried it on. Same exact style I have but a bigger stone. Hated it. I’m short so I have short stubby fingers. Doesn’t look right. 

You pick what you think is best. I say the smaller the better. 1 carat sounds good to me. 

Post # 28
    1373 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2009 - Mountain Meadow/Mansion

Go for the 2 ct. Diamond shrinkage is a real thing!

Post # 29
    417 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

To compare how each would look on your size finger, go to http://www.diamdb.com and put in the diameters of a 1.5 and 2 ct, as well as your finger size, band width, and metal color.

Note:  Dimensions for round diamonds can vary, depending on the cut.  I would go with the average size for each.

Post # 30
    9382 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

go with the better quality diamond

The topic ‘1.5 carat or 2 carat diamond? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors