1.5 months til wedding…already thinking divorce

posted 3 months ago in Emotional
Post # 2
1676 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

Uh, stop the wedding. You do not have to get married. Who cares if people have bought plan tickets. Do not marry him until you have ALL the facts and a real plan. Or do not marry him at all. 

Post # 3
6920 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

That’s a lot of debt. Like holy shit, no degree is worth that amount of money. And then he lied about it – that’s a HUGE lie! Are you sure he’s telling the truth now? Do you know for sure that it’s $350K, are you certain all that debt is from the program?

It’s never too late to call off a wedding. Better to call off a wedding than to add the expenses of a divorce to everything you’ve already spent.

Post # 4
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2017

This is bad!!!! should have thought it through that is a lot of money! Maybe try talking it with someone close? really talk it out before is too late!! 🙂

Post # 5
1340 posts
Bumble bee

It’s better to call off a wedding then inherit his debt. He is obviously bad with money and expect you to dig him out. Who says he’s going to manage his money better in the future? Especially if he’s thinking about having kids with that kind of debt. 

Post # 6
1814 posts
Buzzing bee

Have you shown him the math on paper?

I cringed when I read that you were expected to help weekly–why is this an expectation?

Time for the tough talk–asap. And ask to see evidence of all of his debt, not just the student loan debt. You deserve to know what you are getting into….the lie is concerning.

Post # 7
3678 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Poppy Ridge Golf Course

This is past the talking stage for me. There’s no way I’m taking on that massive amount of debt plus having to pay all the expenses for a couple years and giving him weekly financial assistance on top of it. F that noise. Listen I get being in love and all of that but this is some bullsh*t. Canceling a wedding is far cheaper than divorce. His expectations are ridiculous. At the very least postpone this trainwreck. PLEASE. Offer to pay everyones flight expenses if possible but do not go through with this in the next couple months.

Post # 8
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

If you’re thinking about divorce before you’re even married, put the wedding on hold at the very least. Go to counselling and decide if you even want to marry this person anymore. Then either go forward with it or cancel for good.

Post # 9
2314 posts
Buzzing bee

Holy crap. I’d call off the wedding. Even though the wedding is nearly paid for, if you marry this man you will be tied up in (your own student debt?) as well as the whopping $350k of your husbands debt! WHICH HE LIED ABOUT. Also, do YOU want children? Or are you on the fence? It sounds like he’s trying to persuade you into having children which you’re not even 100% sure on.

Post # 10
838 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

Do not get married. Divorcing him will be way too expensive.

Post # 11
838 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

Like honestly, this sounds like a trap.

Post # 12
570 posts
Busy bee

If you’re going to pay living expenses plus his debt, what exactly is his financial contribution to your marriage going to be?

Post # 13
2915 posts
Sugar bee

Having a wedding paid off is not the reason to have it. If you’re having doubts, please please think about it. Also $350k is a lot for a degree that isn’t a Medical Degree. That’s the only degree I know of that’s that high and even then it’s about $100k too high without a surgery specialty. For physical therapy? $100k max unless he went private and took forever with no financial aid. 

In short I think he’s lying about the extent of the debt. You have every right at this point to ask for the paperwork to back this up. Loan docs from the school. Even s full credit report at this time. This is huge and the debt becomes yours when you get married and you don’t want that. Plus that debt is waaaayyy more than a wedding cost. You could pay for the wedding and everyone’s flights that got one and its still cheaper than this debt.

I am also leery of him asking for so much help. I have debt myself and I am doing what I can to get out of it and paid off while not using me and my husband’s savings. The fact that he isn’t taking ownership of it is scary. It’s scary to look at the statements once you realize you’re in trouble. It was scary for me, but you know what? I did it. I took on the debt, I signed the paperwork and it’s mine to deal with. So I took it on head on. That’s the only way to deal with it. 

He might also need to talk to a bankruptcy attorney to see what his options are. I don’t know a physical therapist that makes duo much money that they can pay off $350k of student loan debt. I mean that’s a freaking house. 

Post # 14
500 posts
Busy bee

He expects weekly help with HIS debt! No way! You are lucky to be finding this out before the wedding, no matter how soon it is…

Post # 15
3011 posts
Sugar bee

So he has at least $100k more debt than he let on before the engagement??? I would demand to see his Sallie Mae accounts or whatever because this guy has a history of reeling you in (i.e. engagement) and then dropping a bomb afterward. God forbid he pulls this stunt again after you said “I do” and you find out the debt is even higher. 

To me the fact that he hid the truth from you is a much bigger red flag than the debt itself (which is also, obviously, sickeningly high). You are about to marry a repeat liar. I would postpone at the bare minimum bee.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors