(Closed) 1.5 or 2 mm E-ring bands?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
2500 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: County courthouse

My jewler does not recommend anything under 2mm. I still think 2mm is thin and would look proportionate on your finger.

Post # 3
4812 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

2mm is still very thin. I don’t really recommend under 1.8mm for plain bands, or under 2mm if there is pave. 

That being said, I do have a couple rings with 1.5mm (or under!) shanks but they are antique/vintage and came like that and I am very careful with them – meaning I am careful and conscientous about how I open doors, grip the steering wheel, lift heavy objects, and so on. I still expect that one day I will possibly need to reshank them.

Post # 4
4509 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

It was also recommended to me to not go below 2mm.  My ring is 2mm at its widest and does taper to 1.5mm close to the diamond.  My ring size is 4.25 and I feel the 2mm would still look dainty on your hand.

Post # 5
1527 posts
Bumble bee

Mine is 1.7mm pave on 4.75 size finger. Can’t really say how well it holds up yet, because I’ve only been wearing it for a few days! I do know someone with a very similar ring (hers is 1.5mm and I can’t really tell a difference in ours), and hers has held up fine after 3 years so far!

Post # 6
4 posts
Wannabee

I also wanted a dainty delicate look and I got a 1.6 on a 5 finger. 

Post # 7
2618 posts
Sugar bee

Just wanted to echo the majority of PP – I wouldn’t go under 2mm either, especially with a pave band. If you go on diamdb.com, you can change the width of the band to get a better idea how it would look on your finger size. FWIW I wear a 7 or 7.5 and my e-ring was 2.5mm, and it was still thin.

Post # 8
8601 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

I would not do below 2mm. It’s trendy but it will warp if you don’t baby it- especially if pave (less metal still). 2mm is still thin.

Post # 9
932 posts
Busy bee

My Ering is about 1.6mm. It feels sturdy enough and I am not worried about it distorting. If you were going with stones in the band then I would stay around 2mm or up. I wear a 7.75 for reference. 2mm is also pretty thin as well and will still give you that dainty look. The wedding band is 2mm.

Post # 10
1956 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

My engagement ring is just under 2mm wide (1.8mm) but it’s a tall profile so there’s some heft to it without being bulky. My wedding band is 2mm exactly. Both look pretty darn dainty! 

Post # 11
877 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

2mm is still very thin. My solitaire is on a plain metal band that is closer to a 2.3 and I still find it very thin on my 4.5 finger. I agree with others that you shouldn’t go below 2mm.

Post # 12
1885 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I think 2mm will be plenty thin on a size 8 finger! Around what size center stone are you thinking?

Mine is 1.8mm on a size 5.5:

Post # 13
7936 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

I would not go under 2 mm for an ER band. I have one cocktail ring with pave that is 1.5 mm, but that is worn occasionally for special occasions, and I am still worried about it. For regular wear, I’d never go under 2 mm, most especially if there is a pave band. 

Post # 14
479 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2003

My anniversary bands are 1.5mm each:

Post # 15
1238 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

My e-ring is 2mm, and I wear a size 4.5. I think anything thinner would be *too* thin.

The topic ‘1.5 or 2 mm E-ring bands?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors