• poll: Is the 2ct bigger?

Yea! A lot bigger!

The size gain is not enough to justify the $$$

No

• Post # 2
    1240 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2018 - UK

Speaking as a complete layperson with no diamond expertise, I can barely see a difference either. I think unless you’re really studying the stone, it would be difficult to notice the size difference 

Post # 3
    73 posts
    Worker bee

No I don’t see a difference either. I think yours looks great as is.

Post # 4
    112 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2020

Your ring is gorgeous. Stick with it.

Post # 5
    202 posts
    Helper bee

If you already love your ring then keep it! It’s beautiful!

Post # 6
    717 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @stephaniekate9210:  your ring is gorgeous! I remember you posting about getting engaged just a few months ago? Why do you want to change it already? There will always be bigger and better out there! Please be happy with your gorgeous ring!

Post # 7
    474 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2021 - Boulder, Colorado

From what I’ve seen, the diamond equivalents of the same carat are usually smaller. Maybe it’s to make the stone sound bigger or to make sure that it’s not too big for the size. I’d say stick to your current ring or go visibly higher with the moissy.

Post # 8
    87 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2022 - Edmonton, AB

View original reply
    @stephaniekate9210:  Girl your ring is stunning. I got engaged with a similar ring this Christmas (hooray), and I will say two things. 

1- I think the internet is overwhelmed with giant simulant stones or lab created stones that tend to make us think our stone “isn’t big enough”. 

2- For some reason our perception changes and we don’t realize how big it is anymore, and then I see it in a mirror or in a picture someone takes of me and I realize I’m super fortunate to have such a beautiful ring. 

Everyone is different, but since you’re on here asking, I am giving my two cents. What’s going to happen after you upgrade to your 2 ct. (or your 2.5 ct. OR your 3 ct)… the exact same thing. As we continue to exist in a fairly virtual world we’re going to be bombarded with gigantic (and many times fake) rocks that make us feel insignificant. Then no matter how big you go, there will always be bigger diamonds, and you’ll feel like yours is small. Always chasing that upgrade. Haha. 

Just my thoughts. Some may not agree. But I have told myself I am fortunate and proud to have my 1.41 ct ideal cut diamond that sparkles like mad. I’ll keep it 🙂 If my hubby ever decided to “upgrade”, I would hope it would be a replacement, as I’d never want to give away this ring he proposed to me with. 

Post # 9
    167 posts
    Blushing bee

I think your ring is stunning! I can’t really tell the difference in size tbh. 

Post # 10
    297 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 1999 - Tacoma, WA

Yes, I can tell the difference. I wasn’t sure how to vote because it’s not a huge diff, and I’m not sure what the price difference would be since there is such a huge range with diamonds.

Post # 11
    99 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    @stephaniekate9210:  I would not worry about the carat. Each diamond is different and some face up much larger than others. I would focus on what mm you want instead of the carat size. I have a 1.82 but it faces up as a 2 carat. You will also pay a premium for the “2 carat”. It is better to go slightly under, the difference will not be noticeable. Your ring is lovely as is though! 

Post # 12
    717 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @heyitskayla87:  THIS x 100. I live in a very HCOL area (my 1 bedroom 720 sf apartment is $3000 a month) and on weddingbee the large rings definitely dominate more than in real life. I loved my 1.2 carat ring until I came here and saw all these other gorgeous stones and thought maybe I should have went lab, maybe I should have went down in color, and I quickly shook those thoughts out of my head. No, I love MY ring because we picked it out and it sparkles just as I wanted it to and we carefully picked out all of the angles, 4Cs, and picked the stone we loved the most. I looked at stones of different colors and didn’t want them, so why am I regretting it now just because a few people on the internet have bigger rings?

Of course people with gorgeous rings are going to post them, I would too!! but most people I know in real life have rings between 1-2 carats. There are exceptions of course, but social media and the internet have definitely a double edged sword. It opens you up to knowing about these affordable options, but you also think everyone is rocking these stones much bigger than yours!

Post # 13
    87 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2022 - Edmonton, AB

View original reply
    @g456:  YES. And it’s just. not. true. NOT EVERYONE has bigger diamonds than us. And even if they do. WHO CARES. There are people who wish they had our rings (not that that matters)…. but they are coveting what we have (or coveting the relationship we have). 1.2 is a beautiful size. 

It reminds me of when I started going to the gym and was feeling bad about myself because there were people in the gym way more fit than me. My best friend Jess said “Kayla, you’re someone’s after”. 

It also reminds me of a quote I saw… “Remember when you once wished for what you currently have?”

I worked in a jewelry store while I was in University. I also remember when I started there, I coveted this 0.5 carat center pave ring that had an ideal cut center. It sparkled like mad, and I showed my boyfriend of the time. Then, I remember after working for some time, I thought “a 0.75 would be great, as that seems to be about average for Edmonton.”… and then a year later “minimum 1 carat is acceptable”. When my fiance met me and asked me what my dream ring was, I told him a 1.5 carat. I am evidence that perceptions of what is considered big are shaped by the retail industry, and the internet. 

You know what’s really big, and bigger than everyone elses ring on the internet? HOW MUCH MY SOON TO BE HUBBY LOVES ME. 

Also last night we were stressing about wedding expenses and I was like, you know? If I had to give up my ring tomorrow to marry this guy…. I totally would. That’s how much I want to just marry the guy. 🙂 HOORAY I’M A MATURE GROWN UP NOW. Hahaha. 

Post # 14
    7996 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

IMO It’s not a significant enough difference to change. The six prong setting contributes to it looking larger as much as the carat size. Live with it a while longer. In five years if you still wear it daily, can afford and still care you can change things up. 

Post # 15
    717 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @heyitskayla87:  Yes! I just think about my engagement in Spain and know I could have gotten a larger ring if we didn’t take that fabulous trip. I’ll take the memories!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors