1.68 versus 1.93 carat?

posted 6 days ago in Rings
Post # 2
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

Wow there must be some more stats differences  besides just size for an 11k price difference. There would be a noticeable difference in size, yes. But not worth 11k in my opinion!

Post # 3
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2021 - Mackinac Island, MI

Use the website diamdb.com to compare. I used that a lot when deciding on the size for my ring. 

Post # 4
847 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@sollyb:  I think it’s only $1,000 not $11,000. 

OP, Yes there will be a noticeable difference depending on how they’re cut. If they’re cut similarly, the difference will be noticeable side by side, but either size is going to be stunning. I’d go for the one with the better cut, first and foremost, and then I’d go for color, and then clarity. It sounds like the bigger one might not be as good as the smaller one if there’s only a $1,000 difference between the two.

Post # 5
631 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@sollyb:  I think it’s 1k 😉

Post # 6
140 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2021

I would go for the smaller diamond in this case. It seems to be better quality if there’s that small of a difference in price. Also, just my personal opinion larger stones needs larger stones for the sides and when they get to big I think the way it sits on fingers looks strange. This old post may help with size choices https://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/show-me-your-3-stone-rings-with-carats-of-stones-1/

Post # 7
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

Haha, phew she updated her post! 1k makes a lot more sense, not sure why I didn’t assume typo lol.

View original reply
@tetonlove:  

View original reply
@greeneyedbee:  

Post # 10
3 posts
Wannabee

Hi there, it actually depends on a lot of factors. I love oval diamonds and I tried on 1.6ct and 1.9ct and ended up purchasing 1.9ct (centrestone I mean). Not only I went for 1.9 because it was a bigger carat, but because it is a colour D (best) VS2 clarity, and the cut was better all compared to 1.6ct. Price difference yes but sparkle brilliance and size I care more for. Here’s a photo of my knife edge solitaire 1.9ct on size 5.5. 

Post # 11
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2002

View original reply
@Fef217:  My vote would be dependent upon the shape of the diamond. I think ovals, pears, emeralds, & cushions are fabulous in larger weights. However, in rounds, I think they look better around the 1.5 carat max mark. Just my 2 cents. My finger size is 4.75, so close to the same as yours and the largest carat weight I ever owned was a 1.5 trillion solitaire and it looked really big, and drew too much attention for my taste/comfort. My vote would be for the 1.68. It think it will provide great finger coverage.  

Post # 12
15 posts
Newbee

My center stone it 1.76. I wear a 6.25 ring

Post # 13
86 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2022 - South Florida

Hi, I have a 1.67 .  I think the size would look perfect in a 3 stone ring ☺️

Post # 14
712 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@Fef217:  The cut quality of the stone (not to be confused with its shape, the cut grade on the lab report or retailer’s marketing terms like James Allen’s “true hearts”, Blue Nile’s “astor ideal”, etc.) will determine how much face-up size difference there is between the stones. Carat is a measure of weight, but the cut of the stone determines its face-up size.  A shallow cut 1.68ct can face up about the same size as a deep cut 1.93ct. But a stone that is cut too shallow or too deep will have performance issues (darkness under the table, etc.).  Cut quality is the number one factor in how a diamond performs (particularly when it comes to modern round brilliants), so cut quality is the best reason to pick one over the other IMO.  Not all GIA “excellent” cuts or IGI “ideal” cuts are the same.  You can learn about cut quality by researching “diamond cut quality” and “light performance of diamonds”. GL!

Post # 15
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2022

View original reply
@Fef217:  i would go with larger stone as i ALWAYs think that looks better with a threestone ring…i hate it when there’s not a lot of contrast with the smaller stones…1.93 is def not too big and if price isn’t a concern i would absolutely do that

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors