1.7 mm band on 5.5-5.75 finger? Too thin?

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 2
1497 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - City, State

My ring is a 1.9mm band, and I have a size 5 finger.  I love my band, I think it’s still thin without being “frail” if that makes sense.  My stone is 1.4 carats.  Not as large as 1.7, but I don’t get the feeling that mine is top-heavy at all.  Sometimes it moves when my fingers are cold, but it’s not annoying.  Hope that helps?

Post # 3
2136 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I have a much smaller finger (size 3) with a 1.7 mm band and 1.8 carat diamond. It will definitely be top heavy. There is no way to avoid that. Ive found that sizing beads helped with the spinning as does adding in the wedding bands but yeah, for the first year that I wore the engagement ring alone it spun constantly. I’ve never had issues with my band but i definitely recommend looking at something more secure than pave. Mine is shared prong but still really sparkly and doesn’t show much metal so it’s the best of both worlds. 

Post # 4
460 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

I have about a 1.7mm pave band with a 1.7 carat diamond on a size 5 finger. It is definitely top heavy, but now wearing it with my band seems to help. I also think I could go down about a quarter of a size but then it would be hard to get on and off! And I do take it off to shower and workout because it seems pretty delicate!

Post # 5
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2019 - City, State

I have a 2.1mm band on size 5.5 (probably finger 5.25 but I don’t like tight rings) with a 1.7ct diamond. It looks more delicate in person and I like the band to stone size ratio. 

Post # 6
21 posts
Newbee

I kept telling my boyfriend (now fiance) that I wanted the band as thin as possible. Our jeweler told him that around 1.6-1.7 was the thinnest he could go. At the time I thought that I wanted it even thinner but now that I actually have it on my finger it is way dantier/thinner than I thought it would be and I am kind of nervous that I will damage it. For reference I am a size 4 finger with a 1.6mm band and a 1.51 carat diamond. However it does fit like a glove so I haven’t had any problems with spinning so far!

Post # 7
266 posts
Helper bee

My e-ring is a plain 1.8mm band (with a softened knife edge, so it appears thinner) and my diamond is 1.85 ct on a size 5.5 finger.  My ring doesn’t feel or appear “top heavy” IMO and doesn’t spin very much at all (despite being sized slightly larger to accomodate my knuckle), but I had my diamond is set low, so that clould help.  

The band I am wearing in this pic (I have a few I switch between or stack) is either 1.7 or 1.8mm with pave diamonds, which I understand is about as thin as most jewelers like to go with pave since the structure of the ring can be compromised.  Keep in mind that at 1.7-1.8mm, the pave diamonds are very small and don’t really “do” a whole lot except under the right lighting.  So if you are concerned about durability or want more showy pave, you may want to go wider. 

Post # 10
7242 posts
Busy Beekeeper

So you have to consider – 1.7mm is thin, but 1.7 pave means that there is metal cut out of that 1.7 mm. That makes it even weaker. If you’re going to baby your ring then maybe look at it. But if you’re rough or want to wear it 24/7 maybe go a little wider.

Post # 11
316 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

My engagement ring band is 2.1mm  and my ring size is 5.5. Center stone is 1.3 j color diamond, si2, xxx and the setting is a 1ct halo and pave 

jb1992 :  

Post # 12
2136 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

jb1992 :  I’m real lazy and my rings are upstairs currently so here is an older picture of just the engaement ring. Honestly, if you looked at it, you’d never know its not pave but its much more secure. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion 

Post # 14
6431 posts
Bee Keeper

Me personally I would never go smaller than 2mm for a ring for durability.

Post # 15
777 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Mine is 1.8mm with a 1.5 ct stone and I absolutely love the daintiness of it. The smallest my jeweler would make it was around 1.6mm for durability purposes 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors