(Closed) 1.75 round solitaire in 4 or 6 prong? [Poll]

posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Keep 4 prong or change to 6 prong?

Keep 4 prong

Reset to 6 prong

Other (please specify)

• Post # 2
    10041 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

View original reply
    futuremrsmierz:  I usually like 6 prongs best but I think you should leave your ring as is. It is absolutely stunning! 

Post # 3
    1263 posts
    Bumble bee

I really dislike 6 prongs in general on any ring! But I know I’m the minority opinion cause lots of ladies love it!!! Personally I prefer to see the diamond, not the prongs, it’s too busy for me. But it’s all about what YOU like! Beautiful ring!!!!  

Post # 4
    354 posts
    Helper bee

I agree with previous poster. This ring would lose something if you changed some of the setting! It’s perfect, and don’t worry about losing the diamond… if the stone is properly set, it won’t slip away. Just take the ring to the jweller for checking twice a year. They will make sure your stone is safe 😉

Post # 5
    916 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    framarianna:  I have a six prong and the prongs are very delicate and hardly noticeable. So if it’s done right, I don’t see there being an issue with it being “overwhelmed”. 

Post # 6
    354 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    Ckasnoff:  You’ve replied to the wrong person. I didn’t say that. The previous poster I was referring to is the first one. 

Post # 7
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

Your ring is stunning!!!  I will say I have six prongs in a similar size stone and they are barely noticeable, you really just see the stone, but if anything it makes it look bigger.  I love having six because I am tall and my hand falls about countertop height and I am the clumsiest person ever also, (literally two days ago I walked into a wall, I’ve been icing my nose non-stop, soo sore! It was dark, but still…) and I love knowing I’m just knocking the prongs.  I don’t think twice whenever I hit it, which is constantly. 

Either way you can’t lose, your ring is breathtaking

Post # 8
    3058 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    futuremrsmierz:  I’m partial to 6 prongs, but biased because that’s what I have as well.  My ring is similar in size to yours, 1.70 carats in a 6 prong setting. I don’t find that the prongs overwhelm the diamond at all. 

When I first looked at your ring I thought it was a cushion cut. That is one of the biggest reasons I chose 6 prongs, to preserve the round shape of the diamond.  

Your ring is stunning now, so no matter what you choose it will look lovely!

Post # 9
    244 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
    futuremrsmierz:  I voted for 4. Not crazy about how 6 prongs look, but either way I think you’ll be set bc your ring is GORGEOUS!!!!!

I have a 1.5 round moissy in a 4 prong setting. It sits pretty high off my finger, and I’m not entirely gentle on my rings. So far, I haven’t had any trouble with it. I’ve had it since 2012.  

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by StarPower.
    Post # 10
    916 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    framarianna:  I hit the wrong reply. I was trying to reply to the OP. 

Post # 11
    13652 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I am partial to four prongs. I think it shows off the stone better. If done professionally you will have no issues at all with security. 

Personally, I prefer matching the prongs to the diamond rather than the yellow in the band. The stone can pick up the reflection of the yellow in the prongs and I think the contrast can distract or make the stone look smaller. So if you really wanted to go with six, I’d go with white gold or platinum prongs.

Whatever direction you go in, your ring is really beautiful. 

Post # 12
    7865 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 1997

I very much prefer 4 prongs, and I think your ring is perfect the way it is. I prefer 4 prongs because it allows more light in, and it better displays the stone, IMO, because one can see more of it. I would never mistake your stone, or most rings with 4 prongs, for a different cut. Your prongs are small and your diamond definitely looks round. I vote to leave your gorgeous ring the way it is. With normal checks, you aren’t in any danger of losing your stone unless something catastrophic were to happen – but in a situation like that you would likely be more concerned about your fingers and hand than the ring!

Post # 13
    79 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

I personally love the way 6-prongs look — I always think of a star when I see it!

Your stone is fascinating and beautiful! 

Post # 14
    1627 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

As someone who has broken 2 of the 6 prongs off my last ring, I highly recommend the 6 prongs,  but if you don’t like the look, don’t bother. I personally think 6 prongs gives the stone a little more presence and does not overwhelm at all when done right. 

Post # 15
    952 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: City, State

Beautiful ring! I actually had a very similar issue. Jeweler convinced us the opposite- that 6 was safer even though we liked the look of 4 better. Fiance ended up buying my (also yellow gold) ring from a diff jeweler. When they set the diamond, he said 6-prong. It took forever to get and when it came in it only had 4. He was too excited to complain and didn’t want to wait to get it fixed, so he proposed. We talked about it after and were okay with it bc, while its only 4 prongs, they are very thick at so I’m confident they aren’t going anywhere.

In conclusion, can you post a side view to show how strong the prongs look?

The topic ‘1.75 round solitaire in 4 or 6 prong? [Poll]’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors