(Closed) 1.75 vs 2 ct?

posted 3 years ago in Engagement
Post # 2
488 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

I wanted a ring that was close to 2 ct. Darling Husband got a ring that is 1.8. This allowed him to get a much better quality diamond. I personally cannot notice a big difference between it and a 2ct. I really like that it is such a pretty diamond. 

Post # 3
1471 posts
Bumble bee

I think you should ask someone from the diamond store you’re purchasing at with the specific diamonds you’re comparing.  I was looking at a 1.36 ct. princess diamond with a cushion pave halo, and the associate I was working with (Kristina at Adiamor.com – highly highly recommend for best price and service!) found me a diamond which saved me $1000 and was a 1.27.  She said they looked the same to the naked eye.  

So.. probably the 1.75 depending on price and what your financial situation is.

Post # 4
225 posts
Helper bee

I tried on both and I noticed an obvious difference when they were next to each other (mine were ovals). But by itself it may not be so obvious! It depends too on how big it faces up. 1.75 is big no matter what, though!

Post # 7
1607 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Well if your issue is not being able to say “2ct” (which it kinda sounds like), just round it up whenever you say it out loud. “It’s almost 2ct” or “its roughly 2ct”. It would be very hard to tell the difference between the two just by looking. Also, depending on how s diamond is cut, they can face up larger or smaller. A poorly cut 2ct has the potential to face up smaller than a 1.8ct well cut anyways. 

The only thing that actually matters if if you like this particular ring (the one mentioned in you most recent post). If so, then you are not settling. 

Post # 8
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

No one but you is likely to ever know the carat weight of your centre stone. However – if you’ve always wanted a 2 carat diamond, then I think you’ll always regret buying a smaller diamond. Why not try dropping the colour or clarity slightly in order to get a bigger stone? All of us can tell you it’s not going to be a big difference and no one will know – but you will know every time you look at your ring. 

Post # 9
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2001

If you are unsure ask your jewellery to order you in a 1.75 and 2 carat to compare.  There will definitely be a size difference if comparing side by side.  

Post # 10
1610 posts
Bumble bee

KoltonBrye1416 :  To be honest, there isn’t much difference between the two sizes visually.

It can depend on the individual stones because each stone has unique measurements that make that carat weight. Like the 1.75 could visually look bigger from the top if it has bigger top specs to the 2ct. Some diamonds are cut deeper and will carry weight further down or on the underneath, appearing smaller because the weight is underneath. 

The topic ‘1.75 vs 2 ct?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors