(Closed) +1 at acquaintances wedding.. what to give as gift??

posted 5 years ago in Gifts and Registries
  • poll: What to gift at a wedding when you are the +1 of a friend.
    Just give them a card with a nice congratulatory note written inside. : (3 votes)
    11 %
    Ask to chip in on friend's gift. : (22 votes)
    79 %
    Something else, & i'll explain below! : (3 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 3
    4771 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Chip on or get something from the registry

Post # 5
    831 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Personally, I think your friend as the “primary” guest should give a gift on behalf of both of you, with one card. I think that’s the most common way this situation would be handled.

If she’s not down with doing that, I would buy something in a modest price range off the registry, or a gift card. 

I definitely would give a gift, not just a card. 

Post # 6
    4439 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

@kimm99:  +1 about the primary guest comment.

Post # 7
    839 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I don’t think you have any obligation to give her a separate gift than watever your friend is getting. Just sign the card with your friend and offer to chip in on whatever gift she got her, but don’t get her anything separate. If I’m invited to a wedding and I bring my SO as my plus 1, he’s sure as hell not going to get them anything from just him. I don’t see why it would be any different for a +1 that isn’t an SO.

Post # 8
    46333 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

Is the couple ok with her substituting you for your Brother-in-law?

Many couples would be upset at a “plus one” being someone they have only met once and who is not the SO of the person originally invited.

If they are ok with the substitution and you are comfortable in that situation, I suggest you purchase a gift jointly with your friend, or purchase your own.

Post # 9
    983 posts
    Busy bee

I would probably give a card with either a $25 or $50 check or cash – depending on how close the acquaintance.

Post # 10
    4771 posts
    Honey bee

@CactusFlower:  I’m also thinking that the g/f may want to give a gift from her b/f and her even though the b/f cannot attend.  It is best to talk to her about it.  Whatever you do you should give something.  But I really don’t think it matters all that much either way so just talk to your friend and see what she’d prefer.

Post # 12
    3688 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I would talk to the girlfriend and see what she wants to do about the gift situation. I think that since you’re coming as her guest, she should cover the gift for the both of you, but if that doesn’t happen, I would give a gift of your own.

Post # 13
    1399 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@kimm99:  +1. My thoughts exactly.

The topic ‘+1 at acquaintances wedding.. what to give as gift??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors