(Closed) 1 CARAT CENTER OR 1.25?!?! And band advice needed please!!!

posted 7 years ago in Rings
  • poll: 1 carat center or 1.25?

1 carat center

1.25 carat center

• Post # 2
    3170 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez:  If you’re concerned about the durability of your ring and snagging it on something, I think the profile of the setting is the most important. The setting you picked out is pretty, but it looks high-set to me, so it may not work with your lifestyle. Just based on how you describe your day-to-day life, you might be better off with a lower-profile setting.

The width of the band also affects durability because it can wear away over time, and a thicker band also gives more support to the center stone. If you’re concerned, maybe go with a thicker band and one with less pave on the band (which would minimize the possibility of a stone falling out if you hit your hand on something).

Post # 3
    1056 posts
    Bumble bee

The only thing I notice between the two rings is one is square the other isn’t. I don’t notice size at all. Of the two, I prefer the square ring over the round one because I like that shape.

I have a princess-cut, bezel-set stone (so technically not a halo) that’s a little over 2.5 ct wt. and it sits up high. I have to be thoughtful when I’m close to walls, etc. because it will hit things. My stone is aquamarine so I’m extra careful with it. I believe moissanite is a much more resilient stone. Still, for your lifestyle, something to consider.

Post # 4
    5985 posts
    Bee Keeper

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez:  I know several bees on here, including myself, have suffered from ring shrinkage.  If you think 1 carat is fine for now, you may want to go up just because as time goes on you may think it’s gotten smaller than a carat.  With your ring size I think you could easily handle a 1.25 center and it look beautiful.  I’m a big fan of the second ring.

Post # 5
    986 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez:  I have a 4.5/5 size finger and got the 6.5mm RB moissanite. At first I thought it was HUGE, now I’m like “eh, I could go bigger”. I say go for bigger!

Post # 6
    8515 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I’d recommend hopping over to the mall and just trying on some rings in various sizes to see what works best for you. Nothing compares to actually seeing the rings on your fingers.

Also agree with PPs that if you’re active and want a more low maintenance/low hassle ring, look for ones with low settings.

Post # 8
    2409 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez: go bigger if you have a larger ring size. It’s all about proportion. 

Post # 9
    76 posts
    Worker bee

Here’s my halo with a 1.25 center. My ringsize is 5.25.

Post # 11
    3170 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez:  The halo itself is not a super high-profile setting – it’s just an air line setting, so your stone is set quite a bit above the halo. If your stone was sitting flush with the halo, it would be a lower profile setting (although not a low profile setting in the sense of a bezel or something, since the halo is raised up above the band). Maybe you could look into getting it customized!

Post # 12
    76 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    girlsheartshoez:  thank you! It is a diamond and it was custom made.  My center is set slightly higher than the halo (airline as mentioned by PP) but overall it’s not much higher than it would be if set in a Tiffany (solitaire) setting.  I work in the medical field and haven’t had any problems with gloves of anything.

The topic ‘1 CARAT CENTER OR 1.25?!?! And band advice needed please!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors