(Closed) 1 ct Oval – Moissanite, Amora Gem, or Diamond?

posted 4 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
Hostess
9676 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

Oval moissanites seem a lot more “round” to me than most oval diamonds. Maybe it has to do with the length to width ratio or the cut, but the shape isn’t as appealing to me as more elongated ovals. I don’t own an oval moissy or diamond, but from my understanding the oval moissy cut doesn’t produce any bowtie effect, and is cut similarly to the round brilliant (splintery, disco ball flashes).

The risk with oval diamonds, like you mentioned, is the bow-tie effect. My suggestion would be to look for a diamond on a site like JamesAllen, so that you can see videos and rule out the bowtie effect, or find a local jeweler to source you some. I don’t think BTD will be cutting ovals in the AG for awhile? 

It really comes down to budget and personal preference. 

Post # 3
10577 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

mrsluckyducky:  oval moissanite is cut much differently than oval diamonds. They show color even at the 1 carat range. The facet pattern is what bothers me the most about oval moissanite, they basically look just like the round brilliant but in an oval shape (splintery facets). Lab created diamonds generally cost about the same as earth mined diamonds, so you won’t save much money there. I personally would go with the amora gem since the F1 won’t be available in the oval cut for quite a while. You can get on betterthandiamond ‘s waiting list for the size oval you want, and this will most likely be faster than waiting for the F1 moissanite since BTD is estimating the next restock to be late oct. From what I’ve seen the amora gem ultra oval cuts look very diamond like with no bow tie at all. Welcome to weddingbee btw 🙂 

Post # 4
2897 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

mrsluckyducky:  . As far as the 3 choices.  Amora gem doesn’t cost much more than moissanite and is less colored per reports . Its prolly not real common for someone seriously considering a simulant to end up going  with a same size diamond. There’s such a huge price difference. Just show your fiance the price for the same size diamond,  he’ll be happy to go with a sim. Lol

Post # 6
1700 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

I would go with diamond, because their quality will never degrade overtime. The moissanite oil slick would drive me insane! Amora’s look nice in round halos but I tend to think they look fake in all other settings. 

Post # 7
5534 posts
Bee Keeper

Here are my thoughts,

the oil slick she is talking about isn’t as common or as bad as people think. However I must stress if you have the money and don’t care then I highly suggest you go with a diamond. 

Yes  mossys and Amira’s are gorgeous but they aren’t a diamond

if you want to save the cash but don’t want the color then I advise against the FB and go straight for the amora  

good luck!

Post # 9
1710 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

mrsluckyducky:  I think you’ll find these videos and this thread of interest. http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Oval-amora-gem-vs-oval-FB-moissanite

The “oil slick stain” on moissy isn’t as common as one may think, it’s caused by residue left over on the stone from polishing, and can be removed with very thorough scrubbing and/or use of silver polish and cloth, easy fix and once it’s gone, it’s gone. 

Arguing that moissy’s and AG’s just aren’t diamonds is a lot like saying the sunset on a beach just isn’t a sunset on the mountains, of course they are different but one is not prettier or better than the other. 

FWIW, I don’t feel like paying more for a stone that to me isn’t visually superior. AG’s are my stone of choice because I don’t have to compromise on any of the 4C’s, and I value sparkle and durability over the “prestige” of having a particular label. 

Post # 10
1352 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t know much about Amora or Moissanite, but I wanted to suggest Brilliant Earth – that’s where my Darling Husband bought my lab-created diamond from and I LOVE it!! However I just saw that they only have one oval (2.28 ct for $14k… I WANT it! Haha). But I’m pretty sure that they don’t manufacture their lab diamonds themselves so maybe you could track down the company that makes them? 

But yeah they’re not that much cheaper than natural diamonds. Maybe get a moissanite and upgrade to a diamond later? 

Post # 11
1352 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t know much about Amora or Moissanite, but I wanted to suggest Brilliant Earth – that’s where my Darling Husband bought my lab-created diamond from and I LOVE it!! However I just saw that they only have one oval (2.28 ct for $14k… I WANT it! Haha). But I’m pretty sure that they don’t manufacture their lab diamonds themselves so maybe you could track down the company that makes them? 

But yeah they’re not that much cheaper than natural diamonds. Maybe get a moissanite and upgrade to a diamond later? 

Post # 12
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

I don’t know much about Amora gems or moissanite but you could also look at .9ct diamonds. Surprisingly there is a price difference between .9ct and 1ct

Post # 13
9595 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

I would go for the diamond, to me it’s the most beautiful white stone by far and its what your Boyfriend or Best Friend wants, and his opinion should count too. You’ll buy one and that’ll be that- you’ll love it forever. Go for a brand that’s serious about ethics like BE. Agreed with the saving money with .9- your eye will never see the difference. 

There are bees on here that the oil stain is recurring and does not go away, and are now over it and saving for diamonds.  (I think that reside story is bs and it’s actually oxidation- why else would it reoccur and appear later, not right from the start?). The Amoras are pretty but seem flat in pics, havent seen the oval though. 

Post # 14
325 posts
Helper bee

Personally, I would get a diamond. They are the most durable stones, and since this is for a ring you will be wearing for the rest of your life, it would be the best IMO. I have a .91 carat oval diamond and it faces up large, has no bowtie…I love it.

I have seen both moissanite and amora gem in person and the amora is, by far, the better looking gem between the two. Again, just my opinion. The amora cut looks better, the color looks better, overall, more diamond-like. I think the amora is a 9 on the Mohs, so equal to a sapphire’s hardness and still very durable. Diamond is a 10 and the scale is not linear, so something to keep in mind. 

Post # 15
989 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

I’m a diamond girl. My oval is perfect, and I haven’t seen any bowtie in mine. It’s only .51, but with it’s shape, depth, and the halo it looks larger. I don’t know of you’re leaning toward solitare, but I think if you do go for diamond, a halo will add a lot of bang for the buck. Congrats btw!

The topic ‘1 ct Oval – Moissanite, Amora Gem, or Diamond?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors