(Closed) +1 Destination dilemma

posted 6 years ago in Destination Weddings
  • poll: Who should get a +1 for this destination wedding?
    allow all of my 20 friends to bring a +1 even though they almost all know people at the wedding : (35 votes)
    57 %
    allow just the bridal party : (1 votes)
    2 %
    allow the bridal party and all the guests who don't know anyone have a +1 for travel purposes : (3 votes)
    5 %
    allow only engaged, married, or cohabitating couples bring +1 : (22 votes)
    36 %
  • Post # 17
    154 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We’re planning a Destination Wedding and we will extend a +1 to all the single people we’re inviting.

Post # 18
    Bee
    1835 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012 - Oak Tree Manor

If you can afford it, allow everyone a +1. That doesn’t mean everyone will invite their SO or bring a date – a lot of my friends had to fly from Seattle to Houston for our wedding and most of them came alone, without their SOs. But honestly I would be hurt to be invited to a wedding without my Darling Husband.

If you can afford some +1s but not for everyone, then invite +1s for the people who are married or in relationships, as PP suggested. If you’re 100% sure someone is single then don’t extend a +1.

Post # 19
    9134 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Any wedding that is going to end up overnight should allow for guests to bring +1.  If you can’t afford it, cut the guest list back some more or change your plans.  I wouldn’t attend an overnight wedding without my FH even when he was “only” my boyfriend.

Post # 20
    751 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

@janet.little.7:  An extra 20 people is a lot. I don’t know about you but here an average wedding menu is 130 euros a person. That’s an extra 2600 euros for people you don’t really know!

I think you should give +1s to people who live together/married/engaged or when you are friends with both peoplein the couple or if a person knows nobody at the wedding. If most of the people at the wedding know each other I’m sure they can survive a few days with their friends away from their other half.

Post # 21
    224 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I think you should give everyone the option of a plus one – if only for travel purposes. if you are close with these friends and talk to them frequently, I would explain that you are giving everyone the option of  a plus one because you don’t want anyone to have to travel alone, but I would have no problem mentioning that if they are not attached, it may be a great idea just to buddy up with an old friend for a ride or whatnot rather than bring someone just for the sake of bringing someone. It may sound tacky, but etiquette be damned. I have a friend who is notorious for bringing random people to weddings, and i’ve told her just as much…that there are enough people going single that if she can plan travel arrangements with a friend, i would rather not have someone at my wedding that i dont even know just for the sake of her having a “date” It’s expensive!

Post # 22
    1030 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@janet.little.7:  If you are having a destination wedding and people are willing to shell out all that money to come to your day, I think its only fair to give them a +1. This isn’t just a one night thing, it is a mini vacation for them and not everyone is comfortable traveling alone or spending all that money without having someone there with them. You will be too busy planning your wedding so you wont have time to entertain ppl.

When people were planning for my wedding in Ireland, there were a few people thinking of traveling with more than one friend or a few family members. I said, if you are willing to come all the way for my wedding, then please know whoever you are bringing with you to make your vacation great, is welcome at the wedding. No one ended up bringing more than one date, but two of my single girlfriends brought their sisters and they had so much fun together. I never would have taken that away from them just because they are “single” and they don’t derseve a travel buddy.

Post # 23
    395 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

if everyone knows everyone execpt the 2 people, why not just let them bring a plus one?

Post # 24
    Hostess
    2998 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

In my opinion plus ones are a must with destination weddings

The topic ‘+1 Destination dilemma’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors