(Closed) $1 Dollar Tree Decorative Plates or $2-$3 Gold/Silver Chargers? PLEASE HELP!

posted 6 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Do the Dollar Store striped plates work or should we hold out for chargers?
    YES! They are cute and hold with the nautical theme. Guests can use them for the buffet! : (18 votes)
    69 %
    NO! They are too much and will bring down the elegance of your event. Spend more on Gold Chargers. : (6 votes)
    23 %
    NO! They are too much and will bring down the elegance of your event. Spend more on Silver Chargers. : (2 votes)
    8 %
    NO! Don't do any of the above but do ______ instead! (Suggestions Welcome!) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    7587 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

Use the plate! It will look great.

Post # 4
    13014 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I think the plates are kind of busy, and it’ll be tough to match that exact blue in the table cloth.  I think chargers look more classy and elegant overall.

Post # 5
    7152 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

If you use white table cloths, then the plates would be great! If you are using that navy blue, then they clash.

Post # 6
    46414 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

They are on the small side for chargers but you can make them work. As only the appetizer or salad courses are served on the charger, and they are removed before placing the entree plate the size won’t be that noticeable.

Are they flat? It’s hard to tell from the photo.They look a bit bowl shaped.

Don’t forget that you can always buy used chargers. Many brides buy them, use them once for a couple of hours and sell them.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:craigslist.org+silver+charger+plates&oq=site:craigslist.org+silver+charger+plates&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=1560l11639l0l14660l41l41l0l0l0l1l391l2862l37.2.1.1l41l0&gs_l=hp.12…1560l11639l0l14660l41l41l0l0l0l1l391l2862l37j2j1j1l41l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=84792b83aedda98a&biw=1525&bih=714

Post # 8
    3175 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I didn’t vote, because I agree that the plates are too busy, but I personally don’t like chargers very much. If you really want chargers, I would go with silver rather than gold.

What about setting the table with white plates & adding a little blue with a nautical themed napkin & napkin ring 

Something like the one in the bottom right corner. You could make it a little fancier of a fabric, or just do a solid blue, but I think that’d add a little something.

Post # 10
    3175 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

@KimmySumShuga:   You could sub a small shell- they sell bowls full of shells at the Dollar tree. You could also do white napkins & buy navy & white striped ribbon, then just tie the ribbons around the napkin and tuck a seashell inside (make sure to sterilize shells, obviously). Lots of ways to add dolor via napkins/napkin rings. I always like when people do that because it’s a way to add a unique touch πŸ™‚

Post # 11
    7152 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

My wedding was a Fall Evening Wedding and I did ivory tablecloths, so I say white is just fine. Sometimes “rules” take away from you being you πŸ˜‰

Post # 12
    5 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I would go with gold, if you want a metallic charger. And personally, I would, but that’s just my $.02. When everyone is sitting down, they won’t notice the chairs are silver, but (again, personally) I would notice if the rest of the table setting was in gold and the chargers were silver.

Good luck!!

Post # 13
    6892 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

I think the plates with white tablecloths would be perfect! It would be so much more fun than your predictable wedding plate. I like fun! πŸ™‚ You could do the centerpiece accent a little heavier in the blue with a white tablecloth also.

Also — white tablecloths will resell WAY better or can be bought WAY cheaper, if you’re going that route.

Post # 15
    6892 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

@KimmySumShuga:  Btw – We bought plates from Dollar Tree for ours and my advice is to go several times. They will have some that look great and others that have issues, you just have to be patient and allot the time to go a few times to get the best ones. πŸ™‚

Post # 16
    5 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2012

@KimmySumShuga:  I meant no one will notice that the plates don’t match the chairs (since people will be sitting). Lol I was trying to  say that a gold/silver table combo would stand out more than a table/chair combo. But yeah, now that you mention it, I guess you do see more gold with navy and white nautical themes… but either would be beautiful πŸ™‚ The striped plates are fun!

The topic ‘$1 Dollar Tree Decorative Plates or $2-$3 Gold/Silver Chargers? PLEASE HELP!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors