1 embryo or 2?

posted 8 months ago in TTC
Post # 16
14947 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I get wanting to transfer two.  One thinks, more embryos more chances for success, right?  I transferred 2 blasts twice.  First one, 1 stuck, and ended in m/c.  Second one, I’m not sure since it was a chemical.  After doing endometrial testing, we discovered my lining wasn’t optimal to support the embryo.  After treatment for that, we transfered 1 embryo which is now my son.  Looking back, I wonder if I had wasted extra embryos that were doomed to fail cause of my poor receptivity.  Knowing what I know now, that it’s so much more than just having a good embryo, going forward I’d only do 1 to give each one it’s best shot.

Post # 17
7901 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

n3wb33 :  we had MFI as well and we frozen some sperm just in case and then were able to use fresh the day of my retrieval. If you’re doing ICSI they don’t need much! Especially if there is no indication that you’d have trouble with implantation then I would definitely do 1 at a time to start. Does your clinic do day 5 transfers? Some wait and see what the embryos are looking like, but some just do day 3 no matter what. That would also play into my decision making. We did day 5 and lost embryos between days 3 and 5 so we knew the keepers were strong. My daughter was a fresh day 5 single embryo and the rest are frozen for the future. 

Post # 18
850 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

n3wb33 :  I get it can be a tough decision to make! We did ivf icsi based on a Male factor. I wanted to transfer 2 because I was thinking it would give me the best chance of success. My doctor told me they would only let me transfer 1 unless they were low quality embryos. The first one miscarried and I had 2 left and I begged them to let me transfer 2 and the doctor told me it is my decision but she warned me that putting 2 in could be risky because if one miscarries it could actually cause the healthy embryo to miscarry as well. That settled it for me and we transferred 1 and we have our daughter!! I still have one frozen for a possible sibling someday!  Also I thought I wanted twins but omg the newborn phase was pretty tough with one I dont know how I could have done it with twins!!  I would talk to your doctor and ask their recommednarion and go from there! Whatever you choose good luck!

Post # 19
1100 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

We also have azoospermia and transferred 2 out first round on the recommendation of the doctor. Neither stuck and the remaining embryos did not make it to blast. Azoospermia lends itself to possible embryo quality issues so it’s completely understandable for multiple embryo transfers to be considered. Azoo is not your typical MFI. 

n3wb33 :  

Post # 20
925 posts
Busy bee

My RE is one of the forefront published researchers in the US. He was one of the first doctors to do IVF in the 1980s. Their clinic policy is only one embryo at a time because the latest research shows that transferring 1 embryo two times yields the same pregnancy rates as 2 at once BUT lowering the risk of twins. They are also proponents of FET when possible because it increases the average birth weight and birth week compared to fresh transfers. 

If your transfer fails, you can do another transfer with a cycle or two so it’s not like having to do a second transfer will really delay pregnancy that much. 

Twin pregnancies are HARD and high risk. I would do everything possible to lower my risk of twins.

Post # 21
2305 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

We only had one to transfer after I had a mc but it turned out to be the right one because here he is! 

Post # 22
1218 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Because of a rare health condition, I would only ever be allowed to transfer 1.  I have a singleton right now (surprise after failed IVF) and having been through the newborn phase I wouldn’t want to have twins.  An acquaintance of mine did an eSET with an ICSI embryo and SURPRISE – identical twins.  She delivered at 27 weeks and had a long road in the NICU.  Sadly, one of the twins did not survive.  ICSI gives a slightly higher chance of identical twins, so the possibility of twins is already slightly higher with that. Transferring two ICSI embryos could possibly result in higher order multiples.  Looking at the data, a transfer of two embryos simultaneously gives a slightly higher pregnancy rate than transfer of one.  However, the best chances for an ongoing pregnancy are with multiple single embryo transfers.  If your goal is to get pregnant and stay pregnant, multiple eSETs will give you a better chance of a live birth.

Post # 23
1802 posts
Buzzing bee

I only did one when I wanted two (I was pro twins and thank good ness my clinic only allows for 1 transfer.) I don’t have any regrets with doing one. I never dreamt how hard the month 1-3 is with a colic baby. I couldn’t imagine it with two babies. Anyways, my clinic is very big with ICSI. Highly recommend it! Also the testing. I forget the name of it right now. Both are more money but worth it. Also read up on fresh vs frozen. My clinic is very big with doing frozen over fresh since the success rate is higher. 

n3wb33 :  

Post # 24
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

My clinic only allows one. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors