(Closed) 1 for baby, 1 unsure for baby…

posted 5 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
923 posts
Busy bee

Fiance really wants to have a baby, not right now but in the next few years. I already have a 4 year old from a previous relationship and I’m less sure if I want another child. I also just got my body back to where I want it, and I was lucky with my daughter and escaped with very minimal stretch marks( just on my hips) I’m not too excited to tempt fate a second time! and while I would love another child, I also would not be devestated if we don’t have one. I think you should talk to your husband about how you feel and maybe agree to have a discussion every 6 months of so. putting off getting preganant for a year or two isn’t going to hurt anything. even if it takes awhile to conceive you will still be in your very early 30’s. 

Post # 4
1141 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

@ebotts:  Darling Husband and I went through this last summer, only I was ready and Darling Husband wasn’t. I was 30 and he was 31. At the time, I was heartbroken, because I had been very clear about my intentions of wanting a family from day 1, and I felt Darling Husband was trying to take that away from me. It’s also a non-compromisable issue. Either you have kids or you don’t, there is no middle ground. So the whole situation felt so dire.

We ended up going to see a marriage counselor who addressed all of DH’s concerns and was able to give us tools to work towards reducing his anxiety and addressing the issues he thought would come with having a child (financial, time management, ability to focus on career…etc). We also pushed our timeline back about 6 months in order to strengthen our relationship before we started TTC.

I am now 20 weeks pregnant and Darling Husband is the most excited father-to-be you could ever imagine.

Here’s my previous posts about the issue if you want more detail:

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/dh-not-sure-about-timing-anymore#axzz2TMiN63B0

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/update-scared-ill-never-enjoy-sex-again#axzz2TMiN63B0

Post # 5
9139 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@ebotts:  ASk him to wait another year so you can prepare yourself mentally.  It’s not a good idea to have children when you’re not ready, especially if he expects you to be the primary caregiver.

Haivng a baby is typically easy for a guy, all he does is feel good making the baby then you get to go through morning sickness, hormones, and a changing body.  At the end of it you have a little creature you have to take care of, feed, change, love, etc….

But in a lot of relaitonships, dads leave the bulk of caregiving to mom so I would wait another year to make sure you are ready before having a child you aren’t quite ready for.  It’s not like you are saying you don’t ever want a child, you just want a little more time to enjoy being a married couple before taking on the additional responsibility of being parents.

Post # 6
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with not being ready this second, for whatever reason.  However, if your husband is desperate for children, I think it’s only fair to discuss your timeline.  Do you think you will be ready in six months?  One year?  More?  You have to be open with your desires and expectations in a relationship, especially when it comes to adding to your family.

Are you concerned your husband won’t be good with kids?  You mention some things about his interaction with them.  Or do you fear he’s not really as ready as he claims to be?

Post # 8
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@ebotts:  Does he just seem uninterested in other children or is he not good with them?  I had zero interest in children before having my own.  I didn’t dislike them, I was just never around them.  When I was, I would talk to them and engage, but I probably wasn’t great with them because I didn’t know how to be.

Honestly, I think it’s hard to know who will be a decent parent.  I say ‘decent’ because we all screw up every day with our kids, even in tiny ways.  I’ve known people I thought would be pretty good at parenting who are just awful and then people who had never held a baby who did quite well.  There’s really just no way of knowing, unfortunately.  Not for sure, anyways.  I think some good indicators are:  Is he patient?  Does he help you out around the house?  Is he available to you at all times?  Does he have a temper at all or get frustrated very easily?  

Ideally, you want someone who is always available and helps you out, or you’ll end up raising children on your own.  Patience and a lack of temper speak for themselves.  

I do disagree though a bit with “I would be different with my own.”  I think if you don’t like being around kids at all, it would be difficult to enjoy your own kids as much as you could.  Just my two cents though.

Post # 9
1556 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@ebotts:  I my Darling Husband asked me why I wanted a family I would probably have the same answer as your Darling Husband, I just do, I want all those experiences, the good and the bad.

I’m 31 and at 28 I wasn’t ready to have a kid. I’ve also also worked really hard to stay in shape and look the best I can. I’m currently 7 weeks pregnant and I’m completely ready. Part of the reason I knew I was ready to TTC is when I didn’t care if I got huge during pregnancy, the idea of a baby outweighs that care by a million. I think having your first child will always be a scary thought but you’ll also know when you’re ready.

Post # 10
2250 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@ebotts:  My Fiance has the same “I would be different with my own kids” reaction, and he can’t wait to start a family! I think the issue with other peoples’ kids comes from the fact that he hasn’t had a lot of contact with babies, and with the parents watching him, he doesn’t want to do anything “wrong” (hold an infant wrong, etc). It doesn’t come from a lack of interest at all, just a sort of awkwardness/nervousness that stems from being out of his comfort zone. Maybe this is what your Darling Husband is feeling?

The topic ‘1 for baby, 1 unsure for baby…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors