(Closed) +1 gives money?

posted 6 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1361 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It’s up to you and your boyfriend how you work this out.  Don’t give two separate checks; that would be odd.  If you want to chip in and your boyfriend does too, then do it.  Otherwise, don’t bother.  I personally have never contributed to a gift when I was a +1 and have never asked people to contribute to gifts when they were a +1 (here, I’m distinguishing between “and guest” and being invited as a couple).

Post # 4
5479 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Get a gift card, put it in a card, and then BOTH of you can sign the card. 

Post # 5
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Beckster329:  agreed. It would be weird if you gave them a separate check and card..

This definitely depends on your relationship with your bf and how you guys handle your finances.

Post # 6
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

If you feel like you know them well enough that you’d like to give them something, just chip in with your boyfriend and both sign the same card. Makes it easier.

Post # 7
Hostess
16215 posts
Honey Beekeeper

While we were dating/engaged, my husband and I always jointly contributed to wedding gifts if we both knew the couple. But it really depends upon your relationship and what you guys are comfortable with.

Post # 8
1095 posts
Bumble bee

If your Boyfriend or Best Friend is inviting you as his guest, then you should gift the amount of money appropriate for a couple. Whether he pays the full amount, or you pitch in, is totally up to you guys! You can’t go to a wedding accompagnied and give a cash gift equivalent to only one person. The whole purpose of the cash gift is usually to cover the cost of the plate of your guests. IMO

Post # 9
12956 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s up to you and your boyfriend.  I wouldn’t feel right going to an event and not contributing to the gift, but that’s just my personal feeling!

Post # 10
598 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I think you should at least offer.  If your Boyfriend or Best Friend again declines then that’s ok…but I would expect, even if he doesn’t take it, he’ll respect the fact that you offered it.

Post # 12
3302 posts
Sugar bee

I personally wouldn’t if I were addressed as the +1 and not by name. For example, my fiancé and I are going to a wedding in 3 weeks. They addressed me as “and guest” even though we have been engaged over a year. So I am not chipping in money for their gift. My fiancé is taking care of it all.

Post # 15
597 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

@armychica06:  That’s soo rude! I know some people don’t think about it but when its been for awhile then that’s just unncessary. 

@lolaswann:  If you want to, it would be nice but not required at all. 

The topic ‘+1 gives money?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors