(Closed) 1 hour glucose test

posted 8 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
792 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I’m a little scared about the glucose test… I have such a sweet tooth! I actually don’t have to drink the orange soda. My midwife told me to eat a sugary breakfast and then come in two hours later and take the test. Keeping my fingers crossed for us all!

Post # 5
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

Yeah, I had a full on crash after my one hour, but I came prepared in my 3 hour with some high protein foods to eat when I was done.

I think it’s impossible to predict if you are going to fail the 1 hour.  I had a cold and had worked all night, so my test was really whacked out… but my 3 hour was stone cold normal 🙂

Hurray for one low risk aspect to this pregnancy!

Post # 6
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

This is great to know! Had I not read this post, I would have gone to the test with maybe a bottle of water for after. Now, I know I will stock up on some good foods.

Can you remind me when this test gets taken? I am sure it will be brought up at the next OB visit but it isn’t for another 3 weeks.

Post # 7
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper

Usually you test between 24 and 28 weeks.  I had mine on the early side because of my dreaded advanced maternal age!

Post # 8
792 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Roddy- I believe you take it between 24 and 28 weeks. I’m taking mine at our 28 week appt.

Post # 9
98 posts
Worker bee

Does everyone have to get it done? Is it to test for gestational diabetes or something else?

Post # 10
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper

It is a test for gestational diabetes that all pregnant women in the US get.  I’ve heard of some people refusing, but since it is absolutely a low to no risk test with high consequences for the baby if it is positive (gestational diabetes can cause macrosomia, heart defects and low blood sugar in poorly controlled cases), it is *highly* recommended.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316

Post # 11
98 posts
Worker bee

Thanks, DG!

Post # 12
2719 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I did it as part of a study for PCOS-mine just tasted like really sugary Mt Dew.  Glad it went ok! At my study, the people taking the blood had no idea what they were doing so it was a little rough.

Post # 14
626 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

@mightySapphire – I brought unsweetened tea with me and they wouldn’t let me drink it or anything else until after the test.  I was sooo thirsty too because of the sweetness of the drink. I didn’t think the drink tasted bad I just really wanted to wash the sweetness down!

I forgot I was taking the test the day that I had to. They had told me not to have anything sweet before I came in.  I ate toast with jelley followed by candy and some fruit juice before the test.  whoops!  I thought for sure I would fail it because of all of the sugar I had downed, but it was good.

Post # 15
4024 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I did the orange one too and thought it tasted good!!! I had a crash too! After that sugary stuff, I was tired!!!!

The topic ‘1 hour glucose test’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors