(Closed) 1 hour glucose test

posted 11 years ago in Babies
Post # 17
98 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2020 - Majestic Colonial Resort, Punta Cana

I did my 1 hr test today too (at 26 weeks). My midwife told me to eat breakfast with some good protein in it, like scrambled eggs, but to skip the toast. So that’s what I did.

I didn’t find the “orange Crush” tasted that badly either, though the after-taste was a bit nasty. And I did feel kinda ill afterwards but that could’ve been partly mental – just the thought of so much sugar so early in the morning is enough to make me green in the gills.

On the plus side, baby was doing a flamenco dance in my belleh afterwards!

Post # 19
181 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

it’s so strange that all the labs suggest doing different things. my 1 hour test was at 8:30 in the morning and i was told to not eat, drink or even chew gum past 10 pm the night before. i couldn’t eat or drink anything other than the glucose drink during the test either.

for the 3 hour test, my appt was at 7 in the morning and i couldn’t eat or drink past 7 pm the night before. i couldn’t eat or drink anyting except the glucose drink during my test. they said water would dilute the sugar. they didn’t want me walking around because it would burn off the sugar. and they told me not to fall asleep during the testing. i was SO tired after i drank the drink. didn’t help that i didn’t get much sleep the night before either!

Post # 20
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2020

I just found out I failed my 1 hour.  Boooooo!

Post # 21
181 posts
Blushing bee

RIbride, i’m sorry to hear that. i did too. i took my 3 hour yesterday and honestly it wasn’t as bad as i expected and i HATE needles + blood and all of that. even after 4 pokes, my arms aren’t sore today. good luck with your 3 hour.

Post # 22
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

wow I have never heard of this test before.  Thanks DG for explaining!

Post # 23
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2020

Thanks BirdofParadise.  Question, why do they have to do 4 separate needles, why can’t they just do one with 4 separate draws?  Do you know?

Post # 24
7081 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

RI- I failed my 1 hour glucose too, and had to go in for a 3 hour.  In preparation for the test I tried to stay away from simple carbs in the 3 days before, and focused more on complex carbs  and protein for the bulk of my diet.  I stopped eating 12 hours before the test and drank only water, which is what they told me to do.  I followed all the instructions exactly.

I hate to tell you this, RI, but the 3 hour drink is grosser than the 1 hour drink.  It is super super sweet.  At my lab they had a place where I could lie down, so I just slept between draws.

I suppose someone could request an IV to be put in place, but I think most phlebotomists are only trained to do single pokes.  I ended up with 4 pokes… None of them were very good pokes either, but hopefully you get an expert phlebotomist and not a newbee like I got!

Anyway, I think many of us fail the one hour and then pass the 3 hour with flying colors!  Best of luck!

Post # 26
181 posts
Blushing bee

RIbride – i’m not sure. i thought they’d just do one but they didn’t. other labs may do it differently. for me they alternated between arms and found a new place to poke each time.

Post # 27
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I just finished my 1hr Glocuse Test this morning. The Orange solution really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would have been. I have had soda that was much worse. I actually ended up chugging it so that I can get the 1 hour wait started with. One more thing off the baby checklist!

Post # 28
447 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I took my 1 hour glucose test about 3 weeks ago. It wasn’t that bad. The solution tasted just like orange gatorade. The hour dragged on though. 

Post # 29
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

@Superstitions – I AGREE. The hour wait was the worst part. I brought entertainment (DSi and a book) but towards the end I was getting tired, thank goodness it was time for the blood work to get done.

The topic ‘1 hour glucose test’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors