(Closed) 1 house, 2 dogs, 3 masters??

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 5
1432 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@MamaHusky3:  I don’t have too much experience with dogs, however after watching dozens of episodes of the Dog Whisperer (I’m obsessed!), I think that properly trained dogs will listen to anyone, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be his ‘master’.  Even little kids can control large dogs, if they are well trained.  

Perhaps it’s most important for you, your FH and your brother to all get on the same page about how to train your dogs (maybe take weekend classes together).  That way you’ll all be using the same commands.  But I think dogs are able to see all humans as their master, if they’re trained well.

Just my two cents!

Post # 7
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

My dog was already trained when I moved into a house with roommates. Everyone had different ways of treating Hayley. I didn’t let Hayley in the kitchen when eating, one of my roomies would let her eat tablescraps (when I wasn’t home) from the table. One of my roommates wouldn’t let Hayley near her at all & made her stay on her bed. Other roommates would have Hayley at her feet. As confusing as it sounds, Hayley would listen to everyone, no matter if it was the “opposite” of what a different roommate wanted.

EDIT: It may be a little confusing to you, but once your pup is trained, she should listen to anyone. However my dog is a little different, Hayley listens to me right away & to people she knows most of the time, but if a stranger said something, she listens 50% of the time.

Just let your bro know your “must not dos” for your pup. Like my “must nots” include not feeding Hayley anything other than her food or on the furniture. Whatever your bros dog is allowed & your dog isn’t, shouldn’t matter.

The topic ‘1 house, 2 dogs, 3 masters??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors