(Closed) 1 in 6 couples need medical intervention to get pregnant?

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
5572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Hmmm that’s interesting. I know of 2 couples in our group of friends who have had issues after TTC for over a year. The doctor was able to “solve” the problem pretty quickly for both of them though. They were both pregnant within 6 months of medical intervention. I don’t know anyone IRL who needed to do IVF or anything.

ETA: Sadly, the statistic sounds right to me too.

Post # 3
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I have a friend whose husband has MFI, which is basically where he has low sperm count and low mobility and maybe some other conditions, but pretty much, it’s like impossible for his (small) amount of sperm to live long enough to even be able to try to get to the egg, in which case they inevitably fail because they don’t have the mobility. It’s really hard on them, as they’ve gone through IUI and hormones and Clomid and now he’s trying acupuncture as sort of a last resort before they throw all their eggs into the IVF basket. And it would wipe out their entire savings to do it just once and it would be a shot in the dark, but she just aches to have a baby. And they are healthy, late 20s. It’s really really sad. 

Post # 4
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Actually for the people I know (friends of SIL all of whom have had 1 or 2 kids) that statistic sounds right.

Even mothers of friends and such.

Post # 5
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Sadly, I know quite a few people who are struggling to conceive. So I think that number is probably somewhat accurate.

Post # 5
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

That seems right. Even just based on the girls on here. Medical intervention can be something simple as a couple pills remember.  Lots of people who have to take clomid or something to help them ovulate probably aren’t discussing it. 

Post # 6
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

It is very common. Three co-workers of mine have had to use IVF in the last few years (I’m next!) to get pregnant. So did my aunt (Clomid) and my cousin (IUI). I think the age has a lot to do with it. Women are having babies later in life than a few decades ago, and women in their 30’s and 40’s will generally have more trouble than women in their 20’s. Most people that need intervention will not have to have IVF. Many just need Clomid or IUI’s. There are numerous reasons why women have trouble getting pregnant. Endometriosis (not that uncommon), PCOS, fibroids, blocked tubes, damaged tubes, tubes removed due to previous surgeries such as ectopic pregnancies or cysts, not ovulating, low egg-reserve (not just for older women), low sperm count, bad sperm motility/morphology…all of these things need to be in order for a good chance or ANY chance of getting pregnant. There are many other reasons, these are just the problems that came to mind. Honestly, I’m surprised the number of couples having trouble isn’t higher!

Post # 7
1263 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

This doesn’t surprise me.  I know a few people who have needed  clomid/metamorfin,  a few who have done shots/IUI, and a few who have done  IVF. 

Post # 8
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My sister, myself, and two of my friends are all requiring medical intervention. And that’s just the # of people who are talking about it. The number seems very accurate to me, and I think it’s a bit ignorant to think otherwise. Infertility is a huge and growing problem.

Post # 9
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

That number actually seems pretty right to me.

I think the reason it may seem high to you OP is that fertility issues and treatments aren’t something people always talk about.  There are probably people around you dealing with it, but they just don’t share that information with you.

Post # 10
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Double post.

Post # 11
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

@Mrs.KMM: You are exactly right. People don’t walk around telling people they have blocked tubes and will need IVF or that the husband has little to no good sperm. In fact, many couples do not even tell their family/friends that they are undergoing fertility treatment. Afterall, it is highly personal and without a doubt one of the most painful and stressful experiences couples can go through.

Post # 12
682 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Exactly what @FutureKMM said. Most people choose not to talk about it because it is such a private matter. But the statistics are right. Many couples will need medical intervention to get pregnant. However, according to the Resolve website, only 3% will need a procedure like IVF.

Post # 13
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@Jenn23: 

Plus, when they don’t work out, I’m sure it gets so tiring of having to say over and over again it didn’t work, and then having people feel sorry for you. I think a lot of people prefer to just deal with it alone than always have someone asking “How’s it coming?” Or worse, offer platitudes: When it’s your time, God’ll give you a baby!! That doesn’t help someone who has desperately wanted a baby for years. 

The topic ‘1 in 6 couples need medical intervention to get pregnant?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors