(Closed) 1 mm wedding bands. Are they too thin and is it too simple to wear alone?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
987 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

My wedding band will be a 1.8mm antique gold band, which I plan to wear on its own most of the time. I think it’s such a classic,  elegant look – go for it! But it’s obviously worth bearing in mind that it does need to be able to withstand every day life ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 18
2514 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

I love thin wedding bands.  

I have my heart set on 2 bands as well.  A twisted diamond band (to match my E ring) and a slim plain band to wear between my E ring and the 2nd wedding ring.  

My mum has 3 rings and I really wanted 3 too.  I think I’m actually going to use the plain band in the ceremony.  It’ll be unlikely I’ll wear the diamond band alone, but the plain one I’ll wear doing all the active stuff.  So I want that one to be the one we use during the ceremony.  

I don’t think I’ll go as far as 1mm though, 2 will look fine.  I’m a size 7 finger, 1 will just look too small and it’ll get swallowed up under the setting of my E ring. 

Post # 19
1477 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Mine is 1.5mm. Its hard to see, but its peeking out on the bottom of my stack. I have been wearing it for 5 years and have zero issues with it. It was a great deal on etsy and I wear it alone and it looks fine 

Post # 20
9126 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I think mine is 1.5 mm – it’s really thin.  I wear it alone only occasionally, and it looks fine (although not very substantial at all).  I think a skinny band would look great with your e-ring and you should wear the set.

One thing to be wary of: if your fingers are at all chubby, it can look goofy :/  In the summer, mine can have a tiny bit of muffin top and it takes all that elegance of the thin band away instantly! 

With e-ring (obviously a close-up):

Alone:

Post # 21
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I love my 1.5 half eternity. I wanted something with some sparkle and lightweight and knew it was what I wanted the moment I saw it.

Post # 22
1769 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I’m not sure of the exact measurements any more, but my Engagement Ring and wedding band are both super thin. I just prefer the look and style compared to thicker bands. So I’m pro thin bands! This is right after we picked my band up from the jewelers.

Post # 24
9950 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

To

View original reply
@lolot:  LOVE your rings.  I am not sure I’ve ever seen them together.  And this topic has truly highlighted the GORGEOUS elements of your thin WBand…

The close up photo shows it as being quite detailed / engraved.  I’m fascinated… do you have an even better photo, or a link to it’s seller on-line… as I’d like to take an even closer look to appreciate the fine workmanship.

Post # 25
4252 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

Jessica Biel’s looks like 1.5mm to me.  I would wear a 1mm band, but I would not expect it to last forever.  It will wear down, and there is not much metal there to begin with.  And the off and on will likley warp it in time.  As long as that does not bug you, I would go for it.  It you want it to last forever, I would go 2mm.  That extra mm will really help with the durability.

Post # 26
8036 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

Mine is about 1.5mm… 5.5 finger.. it’s super thin. I love it. So excited to be able to wear it after Saturday!!

I tried to post a photo but for the last 2 days the pop-up window prompts me to log in and then refreshes and prompts me again and won’t actually let me access the photos.

Post # 27
1210 posts
Bumble bee

@plainjesse:  I love the look of a dainty band. I had a right hand ring, 1mm rose gold. I loved it. Then, my hand got closed into a drawer on accident. It didn’t hurt too bad, except the ring bent into an almost-oval shape from being smashed. I couldn’t get it off, so we actually had to cut it off as it was cutting off my circulation. 

I’m also pretty hard on my hands, but I wanted to share it as a warning. I wore the ring alone, without any other rings next to it, which also contributed to the smash-ability of it.

Post # 28
9126 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

View original reply
@This Time Round:  
View original reply
@plainjesse:  Thank you!

The wedding band actually a family heirloom as well – it was my grandmother’s and is from the 1930s.  It’s engraved with little geometric designs, similar to the “orange blossom” style of engraved band that was really popular at that time.  You can see where a lot of the engravings have been worn down over 75 years of use!

Here’s a super zoomed in picture:

Post # 29
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@plainjesse:  I also wanted a band that offered versatility of being worn alone or with the e-ring or on a simple chain necklace.  I ended up with a 1.4m eternity band.  It’s just barely substantial enough to wear alone on my finger and just small enough to compliment rather than distract from my e-ring when worn together.  And because it’s a full eternity band it will work fine on a necklace.  

My e-ring is a .87 Tiffany setting so it’s not huge.  I had thought I’d like a plain band with no diamonds but when I tried them on I preferred a skinny band with pave diamonds for it’s softness.  The plain band was just adding too much metal and I didn’t like it with my diamond.

I do love plain bands like in the JB picture you posted, but I did not like it WITH my e-ring.  I might get a plain one down the road for another option. 

Post # 30
2748 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

View original reply
@plainjesse:  For me, 1mm is too small on it’s own, I have a couple skinny bands that I stack with, one is ~1.3mm and one is ~1mm. I love them as spacers, one is like 7ish months old (I think) and the 1mm is like 4 months and they are still pretty round, but they do feel flimsy and I worry about squishing them when I take them off. 

Here is my 1mm on it’s own ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 31
9950 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

To

View original reply
@lolot:  Thanks for the info and the zoomed in photo… I see it now.

LOVE too that your WBand has a history…

My own is NEW, but I knew right from the get go that I wanted a Plain Gold Band (Mr TTR he of course didn’t want any WBand at all… story well told here on WBee… and he wanted me to have a Sparkly Band.  Both forming part of the reason I have two).

I wanted a Plain Gold Band because it reminded me of my own GrandMother.  She had a relatively thin Yellow Gold Band that she wore all her life… (maybe 1.5 or 2.0 mm).  She was married in the 1920s, and even tho “the love of her life” and her parted company during the Depression (he had to go off far away to earn a living… and they eventually split entirely)… she never took the ring off.

I remember her hands & that ring like it was yesterday… as I’ve grown older, I’ve come to really appreciate the symbolism of it all.

The topic ‘1 mm wedding bands. Are they too thin and is it too simple to wear alone?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors