(Closed) 1 month old at a No Kids Wedding

posted 9 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 17
579 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Its kinda rude of that couple to assume they can bring their 1 month but I would make the exception as the baby is probably too young to be left at home. I know it probably isn’t your first choice but if you want the mother to attend you might have to let it slide. I can tell your day is a blur and you probably won’t notice the baby is even there.

Post # 18
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Let it slide the baby, will only be a month old. Its not like you have to pay for a plate for the child. Plus the mother may not feel comfortable with a sitter yet. We allowed children at our wedding and it was the best decision, families were so grateful to be able to have there children attend our wedding. Plus the kids made for a great atmosphere.

Post # 20
1271 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

A baby that age can’t be away from a nursing mom long enough for mom to attend a wedding.  So, I think that if you want this couple at the wedding then you must allow the baby to come with.  A baby that young will likely sleep or nurse through the entire thing. 

Post # 21
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

We had an “adults only” reception and had 3 babies under 2 months (one is a niece).  4 other nephews/nieces who were in the wedding.  And then 6 kids who traveled from Paris to San Francisco who were family.  I never heard a word from those who left kids at home or couldn’t find babysitters and couldn’t come.  But it was a hard compromise for me, so I feel your pain.

Post # 22
Hostess
11163 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

We attended a no kid wedding last May and one couple brought their three week old baby. I don’t remember hearing of anyone complaining that they couldn’t bring their kids, I think it was pretty much understood. A baby that young isn’t much of a fuss and needs the mother on a regular basis.

If you fight it they likely won’t be able to come so if you really want them there I would let it slide.

Post # 23
3216 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

I also don’t think your guests will blame you– if anything I think people that bring kids to a “no kids” wedding (specified or not) make themselves look bad instead of the bride/groom. 

Post # 24
1476 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m in the same situation, we’re sticking to no kids, at all. If we let one come, then the others who get sitters will be peeved.

My Maid/Matron of Honor is due 2 days after our wedding date, and if she has the baby, we decided that her husband will be in the bridal room with him and she will be going back and forth. I offered to hire a sitter (I’m in childcare and work with newborns, so I do know excellent people), but her husband offered to do this before I talked to her, so it’s what they want. But who knows… she could be in labor on the wedding day. 

Post # 25
1088 posts
Bumble bee

1 month old baby will probably be really quiet and not even bother anyone.. if it was a 6month old then i’d worry ..

Post # 26
4800 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I’m happy to see you’ve decided to let it slide. I initially didn’t want kids at our wedding, but I think it’s really unreasonable to tell a mother of a newborn who is still breastfeeding that they aren’t allowed to come. Some other responses about sticking to it or having the mom go back and forth between the wedding and where the baby is just seem extreme to me, a one month old is not going to be a disturbance, if other guests with kids choose to get upset over it they’re just lacking in common sense, and I just think it’s extremely unrealistic to expect a new mom to leave her child, most (not all, but most) breastfeeding moms physically couldn’t be away from them for the whole night.

Post # 27
1346 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I woult def let it slide for that.

I would look at it from their point of view its a new baby (presumably first) and to be seperated while your still recoving yourself wouldnt be in eithers best interest.

Post # 28
1334 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Kempinski San Lawrenz, Gozo

I would speak with the ones who weren’t allowed to bring children, and explain the situation honestly.

Post # 29
9816 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

A few week old baby will sleep the entire time, and probably only wake up to eat. Most people should be able to understand that a breastfeeding infant at a wedding is a different scenario than a 5 year old who would probably rather stay home and watch Cars anyway.

Post # 30
915 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. My sister had a baby girl roughly 3 weeks before our at home Adults only reception and I wasn’t about to turn my newborn niece away (she was the only exception) and she slept most of the time. She did not cry once and everyone loved her.

The topic ‘1 month old at a No Kids Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors