(Closed) 1 month out- photographer regret

posted 6 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@BooRadley:  I totally feel this way.  I wish I could make the decision again.  I don’t even know that I’d find anyone I would like better, though.  Since I am a pro photog, this is one area that was just going to be tough for me no matter what.  We got our engagement photos back recently and they were fine… but I didn’t love them, and I know part of that is because they I weren’t how *I* would have taken them.

That being said… I’m definitely not going to shop around.  If you had hired an inexperienced photog or someone whose quality of results you were really worried about, I’d tell you to find someone else… but if it’s just a case of a different style, I’d probably say it’s not worth losing the deposit over. 

If you don’t care about losing the deposit, I guess you could look at other photogs.  But if the one you have hired is professional and does great work, I’d feel terrible for her as even though she won’t refund your deposit she probably won’t get another wedding for your date with only a month to go.

Why don’t you share your hired photog’s website?  Then we can tell you how wonderful she is and make you feel better!  (Or we can tell you that you should run away…lol).

Post # 4
2363 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@BooRadley:  You’re crazy!

:p

But in all seriousness, the vast majority of your wedding photos will be candid moments, not posed portraits or detail shots.  It’s easy to lose sight of that when all you see on wedding blogs are portraits and detail shots (and I wanted those, too!), but it sounds like your photographer will be able to capture the moments that matter.  You made a great decision!

Post # 5
1314 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2006

@BooRadley:  It sounds like you hired a professional, so you should be good.  You can’t regret images you haven’t seen yet.  Changing photographers at this point may be possible, but you can expect to lose the entire amount of what you paid with the first.

Post # 6
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Haha. Step back. Walk away from the email. That’s a tough one. If I was your photographer I’d be seriously cheesed and would keep every cent you’d given me so far. I take a 6 month payment as well so 2/3 of my payment is made before the wedding really rolls around. But I understand how much it sucks to have this other guy on your mind. His work is lovely. Without seeing the difference between the two…I’d stay just try and forget him. Haha!:)

Post # 7
3371 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@BooRadley:  This is going to sound totally indulgent, but photography is really important to me so I’m going to put it out there – can you have two photographers on the day? Or perhaps one for a shorter period of time, just to capture the more formal, dramatic portraits that it sounds like you want?

Or, if it’s certain images you are swooning over, maybe brief your current photographer to ensure s/he gets those shots on the day?

I am all for the photojournalist style myself, personally. I think it’s important to capture the fleeting moments, the warmth and emotion of the day.

The topic ‘1 month out- photographer regret’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors