(Closed) 1 month til wedding and only 1 RSVP yes

posted 6 years ago in Family
Post # 3
3886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My fiance is from overseas. His only family that is traveling is doing so mostly at our expense.  There are many in his family that will not be able to travel because they can’t afford it. He is not having a stag do. This is just what happens when people live so far apart.

You must learn to deal with the reality of things— that for most people, an International flight is too much of a burden.

Surround yourself with as many friends as you can in your current city-== not just for te wedding but for every day. If you don’t have any friends then try to put yourself in a situation to make some friends.

Don’t bother giving people an explanation. If asked why so-and-so is not here, a simple “they were unfortunately unable to make the trip” is all that is needed. It really doesn’t matter if mom won’t fly or someone is jealous or honestly if someone got turned into a frog, all that matters is “they couldn’t make the trip.”

If the closeness with your friends and family from home is important to you then consider doing a big reception bash or a big one-year anniversary party in your home country. You could even have your hen night then if you wanted.

Post # 4
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

It stinks they didnt tell you about their issues earlier, but at this point dwelling on it is not going to help.  Try not to worry about what your fiance’s guests think.  By your own admission you dont even know most of them and you shouldn’t have to “explain” to them why certain people are there or not.  Remember they are there to celebrate with you and your fiance!  Take this as an opportunity to get to know them.  And if they are the type of people who are going to be pestering you about where your family and friends are, then they clearly have no manners!    

Your wedding will still be beautiful and a wonderful celebration because you are marrying the man you love. 

Have you gone back to visit your family since you have moved?  Maybe you guys can plan a one-year anniversary party there so that you can celebrate your marriage with the rest of your family?  Just throwing it out there.  Not the same as having them come to you but it would give you a chance to be with everyone you love. 

Post # 5
148 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I can understand how difficult that must be. You are right you want to be surrounded by your loved ones on one of the most important days of your life. It’s hard because they live so far away but unfortunately that’s what happens when you live in another country. Are you close with your inlaws or have you made some friends since being there? You won’t be alone, you will have the love of your life right by your side. Remember it’s about the two of you and I’m sure it will still be a magical day. Not to mention your wonderful dad will be there to give you away!

Post # 6
6124 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am so sorry.  My heart breaks for you.  You know, my family is quite similar in fact.  And they live 1500 miles away, a 3 hour plane ride.  I opted to elope or just invite the parents to witness the vows.

Your day will still be gorgeous and you will have support around you!

The topic ‘1 month til wedding and only 1 RSVP yes’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors